The Metal Man at Kempton

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Stan Palmer

The Metal Man at Kempton

Post by Stan Palmer »

Hi Chaps, especially those near enough to go to Kempton Jumble.
For the third time in succession the Metal Man wasn't there. Does anybody know if he is coming back ?
I don't wish to be insensitive if there is a health problem, but I really miss that wonderful selection of materials at reasonable prices. I don't know where else to go, particularly for the stainless. Just started on two little bikes, one metric and one imperial, intending to replace all the fasteners and studs with stainless.
Stan
dodger

Re: The Metal Man at Kempton

Post by dodger »

He won't be coming back, prostrate troubles have forced him to give up.
Beefheart

Post by Beefheart »

There was a stand selling metal at Kempton yesterday it was right at the end near the overflow car park. Hopefully he will be there next time.
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Thanks for the replies Dodger and Beefheart.
Well at least I know and can stop fretting. The other chap at Kempton doesn't stock the same range but i'll Check next time if I haven't found a source. My local metal retailer in Crawley can get stainless but only in 15 foot lengths. That's a bit much even for the smaller sizes. I have got used to the metal man just being there for the 12 years I have been attending Kempton. Such a shame he has hit bad health.
Stan
bitza

Post by bitza »

Try one of your local machining firms they usually have bar ends off cuts of various steel stock. Nothing ventured etc.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

If you get stuck, there's a chap trades as blenco-metals, based in Doncaster, on ebay. He does get to the autojumbles at Newark and Rufforth (probably others too) and stocks Whitworth sizes in both stainless and brass hexagon and bar), If I need only small amounts and there's nothing else on the list, then I'd sooner pay postage than fuel and exhorbitant entrance costs to some of the jumbles. Rufforth has reduced its cost markedly over the last couple of years, but unless your interests lie in drug parafinalia and household cleaning products along with cheap chinese tools, there not a lot else there nowadays :roll:

Steve
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

There was a stall selling metals on the right hand side near the entrance at Kempton yesterday, I bought 3 sizes of SS rod for making studs, 1 metre long..... 35 quid. I thought that was fair.

😁 Just seen Beefheart's post. :?
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Thanks chaps. Some good leads there.
Stan
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I buy my metal, ferrous and non-ferous from Noggin End Metals, Macc Models and Metals4u, but maybe none of these companies sell fasteners, Nooky's nuts supply all my fasteners.

https://www.nogginend.com/

https://www.metals4u.co.uk/?utm_source= ... 3E%3EExact

https://maccmodels.co.uk/

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow