Oil in cylinder

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Mick D

Re: Oil in cylinder

Post by Mick D »

Sounds positive - do you see an increased return if you block the flow to the rockers with a bung in the pipe for example?
bazajay

Post by bazajay »

Good idea Mick will check...
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -Logic is like a bulldozer, it is slow but it will get you through any problem!
bazajay

Post by bazajay »

Just in case you are reading this in the future and looking through old posts which is fast becoming my favourite hobby.
DO NOT PANIC.
After a rebuild there will be lots of oil about, having run my bike for about 50 miles now all is okay!
No smokey exhaust and she is running sweetly, just a reminder (to self and all newbies) -
KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON.
Thanks for all the advice anyway, its nice to know you are not alone. Now I have just got to get used to all the vibration and noises an old AJS makes which are apparently normal!
Cheers all...
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -Logic is like a bulldozer, it is slow but it will get you through any problem!
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

My second bike is a 1971 125cc MV Agusta, I was almost round the bend trying to find the cause of bad starting and running, a mobile smoke screen when running and a cylinder permanently wet with oil, stripped it down and found a lot of oil in the crankcase getting whipped around with the flywheels.
Eventually sussed out that when I fitted a new carb it was slightly wider than the original and fouled the oil filler engine breather cap, so I had had to cast a modified one in plastic and fit that, turned out breathing had been slightly restricted which must have pressurised the crankcase. Easily remedied once sussed out, didn't think it would have made such a difference.