Biker Pub

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rosy

Biker Pub

Post by Rosy »

Back in the 80s/90s I had a couple of successful Biker pubs, one of them was "The Mardyke" here in Bristol. There must be at least a couple of members of the AMOC who paid a visit to this quite famous pub back then. There was one frequent regular called Matchy Pete I assumed because he rode a Matchless although I never saw it, so if you are out Pete, 'hello' and get in touch. I was known as Bob then which somehow got changed back to Rob as I got older. Some good nights were held in that pub with well known R&B bands of the time and in general a great bunch of bikers, AKA MotorCyclist.
mjf65

Re: Biker Pub

Post by mjf65 »

I remember going there a few times to see the bright lights of Bristol when I was living in Dursley.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have a set of GB. waterproof plastic map's They show all the biker meeting places. Not sure of the date, but guess many are now gone.
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

Hard pressed to find an actual dedicated Bikers Pub now, perhaps we all grew up and became a bit more sophisticated.
Winkie

Post by Winkie »

I think that as motorcycling is now seen more as a leisure activity is has become somewhat more respectable, and it is easier to gain admittance to most places. So there is less need of biker dedicated pubs and cafes. When I look back to the 60s and early 70s I don't think that I would have allowed myself into most places!! Ex army dispatch riders cost, ex police gauntlets and boots with a leather face mask, on scruffy bikes that dripped oil wherever they were parked, was not a look that many places welcomed. At least places like Charlie Brown's Roundabout on the Southend Road were not too fussy about such things!
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

Good old days or not? for me just pleasant memories I'm glad it was like it was I really enjoyed those times, I went to nearly every bike rally there was back then, and got the badges. The best had to be the British Bike rally at the IOW.
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Rosy wrote:Good old days or not? for me just pleasant memories I'm glad it was like it was I really enjoyed those times, I went to nearly every bike rally there was back then, and got the badges. The best had to be the British Bike rally at the IOW.
I went to a bike rally on the Isle of Wight at Easter 1984. It snowed heavily and I got a puncture on the ferry before I even got there!

Half of us were on British bikes and no Japanese but they wouldn't let our little club in to the British bike rally. All of us had owned British bikes at some point. There's still a few sniffy people like it about in the classic bike scene

We ended up at a family campsite with a band playing Oma Paloma Blanca as we drunk far too much!

A good weekend though. We all wore cut offs with badges on. There's no way I can fit in mine now though :rofl: