Thoughts & Observations

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Iron Head

Thoughts & Observations

Post by Iron Head »

Apologies for this not being AMC-related but does anyone have any experience, thoughts and observations about P & M Panthers and their ownership, specifically an M120 (with chair)?

Thanks, Iron Head
Rosy

Re: Thoughts & Observations

Post by Rosy »

Yes I used to own one many years ago, it had a double adult chair on. I would say it was the perfect sidecar bike, and a handsome bike to look at. I also used it as a solo machine which was just as enjoyable. The only one fault I had with it was the amount of oil it got through, although it didn't smoke or leak, I never found out why. Amazing sound when climbing hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Thanks Rosy, yes that split exhaust port with the twin pipes seems to give it quite a unique sound from what I have seen and heard on line.

Iron Head
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

P&M were quite pleased to advertise the fact that an M120 would do 120 miles per pint! I dont recall my previous M120 getting through a great deal, and as has been said, it didnt smoke. Im currently near the end of a nut and bolt (all stainless, naturally) rebuild on my current M120 that ive fitted with a piston from a Rover V8. They are supposed to markedly reduce oil consumption so its a case of watch this space. I may be able to get it on the road before the end of the month even though it will be a shame to get it dusty :oops:
If youve not already joined, then the Panther Owners Club is the place to be. Lots of information and a phenominal parts service.

Ive only ever ridden an outfit once and that was an Ariel Huntmaster with a box on it. Never rode one since ;)

Steve
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Greybeard wrote: Im currently near the end of a nut and bolt (all stainless, naturally) rebuild on my current M120 that ive fitted with a piston from a Rover V8. They are supposed to markedly reduce oil consumption so its a case of watch this space.
Any pictures to share? - how does rover v8 piston match stock version?
It all sounds interesting !
Sam
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I can second Steve's comments, the owners club is very helpful.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

"Ive only ever ridden an outfit once and that was an Ariel Huntmaster with a box on it. Never rode one since "

I had to put a sidecar and box on the Matchless in the mid 1070's when I got. Mainly because I hadn't passed my test but also because I rode up and down to London with siutcase and tools and car battery in the box. It was brilliant in porr road conditions and I would frequesntly keep moving when cars were stalled in snow and ice.

Only rode a Panther once, a solo, after a trip down to Manchester with a view to buy it. The machine was dreadful, a deathtrap despite being assured I'd be able to ride it home. Chap had the cheek to suggest I had no experience of a large single! Not to my credit but I became very abusive before getting public transport back to Teesside. I was only in my late twenties, much calmer now.

I'd like to try a decent Panther.

Johnny B
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

56G80S wrote:I had to put a sidecar and box on the Matchless in the mid 1070's
Blimey! - You must be quite at risk being well over 70 ;)

And back on topic - I'd jump at the chance to get hold of a 'sloper' - 'fires every second lamp post' was a popular description when I were a lad.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It's my first memory/awareness of motorbikes, probably from around 1953/4.
I was fascinated by our local chimney sweep who had what I now realise was a Sloper with a huge wooden box sidecar containing brushes, poles and sacks of soot.
The sweep, his flat hat, face, hands, overcoat and the outfit were filthy; everything matt sooty black, but it sounded magical.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Samuel wrote:Any pictures to share? - how does rover v8 piston match stock version?
It all sounds interesting !
Ooh, aye. Lots of em ;)
This is what I started with last May/June ( note the AMC clutch fitted to a Burman BAP box - I do have the original Burman clutch but I decided to go with the AMC for the time being)
Panther 640x480.jpg
Respray was done in the garden over summer using 2-pack paints.
64 640x480.jpg
81 640x480.jpg
I'll have to add a couple more in a separate post.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Greybeard on Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.