Electrickary help

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
electrajohnt

Electrickary help

Post by electrajohnt »

Help again please gents.
I know I made a note of the connections but typically, for this job anyway, I can't find where I put it.
1960 G12 - it has one of these, I assume it replaced the cutout. Does anyone know how I wire it in, the wires are there but I dare not connect without knowing how in case I ruin it or something else.
Separate question, how does it work?
Hopefully yours JohnT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnT
ajscomboman

Re: Electrickary help

Post by ajscomboman »

John I wouldn't bother. If I was doing the bike I'd go for a solid state regulator rectifier. it'll keep all your charging woes at bay. Despite my recent comments made about the Wassell unit sold by the club, I was wrong as my issues turned out to be switch wiring repaired by a 2 yr old. Once this was sorted the club unit has performed faultlessly so far. It replaces the square rectifier and also the zener diode all in one foul swoop. I am of course assuming that you actually have an alternator model, if not and you have a dynamo then I'm not sure why that bit of kit would be fitted as you can't use it for a dynamo.
Groily

Post by Groily »

It's a basic rectifier

It converts alternating current (ac) from the alternator to direct current (dc) for charging the battery and the rest of it. While lights etc work on ac or dc, batteries are strictly dc.
There should be markings on the box. Diagonally opposite there should be two squiggles that look like the letter S on its side. These are the two AC connections from the alternator and should be connected to 2 leads from it. The other two corners should be marked + and -. These are DC terminals. If you are positive earth, the + goes to earth. Or vice versa. The other side is the live dc output which goes eventually to the battery. The electrickery comes into the box as ac by the two terminals with the squiggles on, and departs as dc. Magic!

There is a number of questions that would need to be answered before saying much more. Do you want to stay at 6v, or go to 12v? Would you prefer to use a combined rectifier and regulator which would take care of things very nicely and a lot more simply in terms of the wiring at the switch (if you are redoing the whole harness)? Do you need or want to upgrade the alternator? There are lots of options, but for my money a combined regulator rectifier is a better bet than the original system. Alan Osborne sells excellent 6v and 12v boxes of tricks for all this, and they are also available from the likes of Paul Goff, whose website contains a lot of useful info on what the choices are, fitment, etc.

Rob - u beat me to it. Obviously a load of us helping to pass the time in front of a screen.
No zener on there if it's still at 6v though? That's another option of course, if insisting on using a simple bridge rectifier and going 12v . . .
electrajohnt

Post by electrajohnt »

Hello Groilly and ajscomboman
Thanks for responding.
You ask many questions and give loads of information, I need to digest this. The electrics are ok and were working, I am just putting back what was in place. I need to learn more really. Have been considering 12v but I would also like to have more information on led's for 6v.
I tried to incorporate those as indicators on a Nuovo Falconers last year, which is 12v, I had to install resistors and still could not get them to work, flash on and off, so reverted back to normal bulbs.
For now I will reinstate what I have and see how it all works. I never used the bike after purchasing, just parked up as a project pending, so when it's done I will consider the improvements that are required, truth is I suppose, I hardly use the old bikes anyway, messing with them is my greatest pleasure.
KohnT
JohnT
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Groily wrote:It's a basic rectifier
Rob - u beat me to it. Obviously a load of us helping to pass the time in front of a screen.
No zener on there if it's still at 6v though? That's another option of course, if insisting on using a simple bridge rectifier and going 12v . . .
That is quite correct, there will be no Zener for 6V systems... It's just so old hat now I only tend to think 12v even with dynamos as the lamps are easier to get.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Relevant datasheet shows pin outs if you can't see them marked on the component:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/18848 ... gL9tPD_BwE

Regards Mick
les ward

Post by les ward »

I have a diagram for this, but can't upload it for some reason.

Have the rectifier with the top 2 terminals horizontal.

Top left (horizontal) AC in

Top right (horizontal) negative (DC out)

Bottom left (vertical) positive (earth on positive earth bikes)

Bottom right (horizontal) AC in

3 wire stators will bridge 2 into AC in

Hope this helps,
Les
electrajohnt

Post by electrajohnt »

Thanks all who responded, I found Groily's markings and wired to those. JohnT.
Immediate main job is modifying bird table to stop Jackdaws vandalising/dominating the place to the extent other birds don't get a look in.
JohnT
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello John,

regarding your topic I can recommand to read very interesting explanations on these sites :

http://www.aoservices.co.uk AL OSBORNE SERVICES

matchlessclueless.com - James SMITH

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com - Paul GOFF

Since I read these articles I have made a lot of progress in understanding the electrical systems of our motorcycles !

Kind regards.