G12 motobike

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
j-jacques Thomson.

G12 motobike

Post by j-jacques Thomson. »

Hello, we call from France and have a bad English !!!
Sorry
Has everyone a good expérience about reliabilities G12 engine.
What's possible about cranckshaft improvement!
We are surprised when we measure a oil pressure for a standart heat-engine
Has everyone a good idée about this mistake ?
Thanks in advance
"The french connection"
JEAN-NOEL

G12 motobike

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Bonjour,
je restaure une G 12 CSR de 1965, et possède une abondante documentation. Si je peux vous être utile, c'est bien volontiers. Jean-Noel TRUFFET, ISTRES, Tél 04 42 56 30 36
Lars E

G12 motobike

Post by Lars E »

Since 1979 when I bought my 1959 Matchless G12 I have covered 110 000 km (68 800 miles) without any problems.
The only modifications done to the engine is a high capacity oilpump, a oilpressure release valve (which open at 5 kg/cm2, 72 psi) and a paper oilfilter. Oilchanges at regular intervals is also important.

It´s 15 years now since I last restored the engine but the oilpressure is still 3 kg/cm2 (45 psi) when hot and running, 1 kg/cm2 (15 psi) on ticover when hot. This is a bit low so I intend to restore the engine soon.

First the oilpump need to be checked out for endplay and ground in to reduce endplay.
Then the centreweb holding the centre main bearing have to be carefully centered and dowels inserted so it´s properly aligned with the roller main bearings in the crankcase.
I think many engines have blown up because the centre mainbearing where the oil passes into the crank has been missaligned because there´s a small amount of play between the centre web and crankcase. This will of course cause bearing failure and loss of oilpressure.
Oil feed to the rockers will be taken from the return oil, Triumph fashion.

Good main- and bigendbearing surfaces and new plain bearingshell is of course important and don´t forget to clean out the oilways in crank and crankcase.