Unable to SORN

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Unable to SORN

Post by 56G80S »

Well, as some will know, with the help of Charles Dixon-Payne who lent me the trailer that I'll return when this problem ends, I got the Yamaha Diversion back to North Yorks just before the travel restriction came in.

Setting aside jobs done and waiting to do on it, all pretty simple, I thought, "What's the point of taxing from the start of April as not allowed to ride it anyway?" But I can't SORN it. The vendor sent his log book, duly completed, the day following the sale. I have the little green slip but can neither tax nor SORN as "Swansea" don't have the log book. This comes up on the screen when I try to SORN it. They've probably got little in the way of staff attending.

On the website and the automatic 'phone machine the options are do it by post - not possible can't leave the house and maybe Post Office shut? - or wait until the documents arrive with me - up to 6 weeks allowed. I took photos of the computer screen with these responses, just below the COVID-19 regulations banner on GOV.UK and the date on the computer. If they try to pinch me they'll get a shock.

Anyhow, according to the regulations, my youngest is allowed out from tomorrow night (7 days since symptoms appeared) but the rest of us have to wait 14 days (assuming no-one else succumbs).

Not really important, just chit chat.

Johnny B
cbranni

Re: Unable to SORN

Post by cbranni »

Wait until you receive the V5c then go online and tax it or sorn it.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yep, it'll go through o.k. when the V5 has been actioned.
Going by very many posts on the motorhome forum that I use they are probably overrun dealing with thrifty folk who have rushed to SORN their 50 grand motorhomes online before end March. Many are also reducing their insurance to TPFT and the annual mileage allowance to save a few bob, even after paying the usual £20 'amendment charge'.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

My old man used to put a 'tax in post' note in the window as he was always swapping vehicles.

Not sure you can do that these days? :rofl:

Only jesting. Stay safe everyone.

Andy
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

I was stopped a very long time ago by the local Bobby " where is your tax disc"? "it's in the post Mr. Appleyard" "You said that the last time I stopped you, get it taxed" So quickly borrowed the money off Mum and taxed it.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Johnny just wait for the V5C to turn up, then SORN it. When I bought my MG a couple of years ago, the original owner did not pass the V5C to the dealer. I waited 2 months, when it eventually arrived I taxed it.
No communication from DVLA for the 2 months tax that I did not pay.
REW

Post by REW »

You have come across a "catch 22" John - you can tax it online straight away but not SORN it! You have to wait for the new V5c as others have said, in a technical state of illegality. I challenged DVLA on this a few years ago to be told "don't worry, just do it when you get the v5c. Talk about SNAFU.
Last edited by REW on Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

The form V62 that you are supposed to use when there is no V5C/2 is poor. It says "wait until you have the V5C/2 and don't use this form until you've allowed 4 weeks for it to arrive." Next sentence says, "if it doesn't come in 4 weeks wait until 6 weeks".

I'm checking every day to see if the V5C/2 that I have has become "valid"; not so yet. Directs me to form V62.

So I should leave 6 weeks and then use form V62. Who knows, although unlikely, it's possible travel restrictions will be lifted by then and I'll want to be taxing it. Hope it's as as Dudley said earlier and no-one will be asking about the missing time. If they do I'll give 'em hell.

Johnny B

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote:Hope it's as as Dudley said earlier and no-one will be asking about the missing time. If they do I'll give 'em hell.
I think that until the change of owner is actioned by the DVLA and the RFL refund (if any is due) is sent to the previous owner and you receive the new V5 it will, as far as the DVLA computer is concerned, remain 'taxed' (or SORN'd if it was thus when you bought it). As you say, you won't be bimbling any time soon.
Chill. Worse things could happen at Tesco's. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'