Wassell seats

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Steve Harding

Wassell seats

Post by Steve Harding »

Can anyone tell me what the quality of the Wassell seats is like?

I have a 1952 18s, it as the wrong seat fitted (been with the bike since the 70's)

Don't know if it is a genuine seat but it is the same as the one on ebay, item no. 164147798451.

Steve
Duncan

Re: Wassell seats

Post by Duncan »

Hi Steve

I think the ebay seat was a 70's/80's universal seat you see them on lots of AMC bikes, they are not standard and require brackets to fix them on.

My personal thoughts is that the shape of the looks like a banana on the bike so I am not a fan but they may well be comfortable, Leighton's probably make the best seats, there are plenty of bikes with Wassell seats but I think there are certain one year only models that they don't fit properly even though its in the age range. There was a batch a few years ago for the late 1950's bikes that had the front mount ears too close together.

Hopefully another 1952 owner will be able to advise.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I can't comment on the Wassel seats but I can confirm that if R K Leightons, http://www.rk-leighton.co.uk/ , supply a seat for your model, you won't be disappointed with it's quality or comfort.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I can comment, DON'T! We won't stock them at the spares dept anymore because they just don't fit accurately enough. I will add though most off their stuff isn't bad, and it is getting better. Trouble with the seats is AMC carried out so many minor changes that for mass production just wouldn't be economical to stock every type, however trying to stock a general one that is supposed to cater doesn't work either. For a seat that is sure to fit the only option is Leighton's. Andy makes them to order from original patterns.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I bought a Wassell seat when I was rebuilding my G3. It didn't fit well at all. The slotted brackets at the front fitted widthwise but the slots weren't deep enough and the front of the seat was too high with a big gap between it and the rear of the tank. The two holes at the rear were a mile adrift. The seat is still on the shelf in my garage. I bought one from R.K. Leighton which fitted perfectly.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

What sort of price are Leightons charging for a dual seat nowadays?

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Greybeard wrote:What sort of price are Leightons charging for a dual seat nowadays?
I'm sure Andy would let you know if you told him what you were after
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Im sure he would. Just asking thats all. Its a bit like if we were sitting in a pub. and chatting :|

Steve
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Greybeard wrote:What sort of price are Leightons charging for a dual seat nowadays?

Steve
They charged me £205 for a new G3/LS seat in May 2018. I expect it may have gone up a bit since then.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

in this instance i agree that the Wassell seat is not something i would recommend for the reasons Rob gave . Id always recommend a Leightons seat but this will cost circ £200