Excellent 1956 competition film.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Re: Excellent 1956 competition film.

Post by 56G80S »

Nev, that's brilliant. In contrast to the other comments it's the first film, at Scarborough, that fascinated me. I've often been and the first time I went someone (I didn't arrive on the 14CSR in time for a programme, must've been close on 40 years ago if not more) was piloting an AJS 7R and didn't finish last! Olilver's Mount was abandoned last year due to weather and this year COVID-19 may stop it. The Gold Cup is later in the year though.

I was there the year before lastand there's very little changed since 1956. The wooden fences are still there and you can get as close as those spectators were. There's a couple of bridges now and I have to say that if you get into the centre of the course down at the hairpin at the end of the start finish straight is brilliant. For the sidecars, on the hill just round the hairpin but on the outside of the course is good too.Near the start line you can see that the slope of the hillside makes a great amphitheatre.

Thanks for the happy memories.

Johnny B
Brad

Post by Brad »

Thanks for that, really enjoyed it. Love those big singles.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. ;)
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

dave16mct wrote:Really enjoyed that. I bet those front tyes weren't Heidenau's! 10 minutes!!
Dave.
With you on that one Dave, I bought Heidenau for the 30CS I am doing up at the moment, thought I had got seriously old overnight! I warmed the tyres on a radiator, used plenty of soap, and still had to fight them onto the rims... a FAR cry from the Mitas tyres on the last two I did, I just trod them onto the rims!

Peter
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Film was brilliant Nev, watched it all, will take a look at the other films tomorrow.
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

Fantastic, some screech from the 4cyl Gilera compared with the Nortons.