General purpose topics/chat goes in here
PGGuse

Still going strong...

Post by PGGuse »

56G80S

Re: Still going strong...

Post by 56G80S »

Brilliant!

I won't forget him at the Anniversary event at the Woolwich Arsenal. V four wheel off the ground and no need to paddle the 7R round at the end of the runs like the "youngsters".

Johnny B
Last edited by 56G80S on Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote:Brilliant!
Quite; sometimes I can't even get the bike out of the shed without toppling over.

I noticed that he just had the engine plonking more or less at tickover and doesn't touch the clutch lever. When slow manoeuvring I like to keep the revs up and feather the clutch a bit on tight slow turns as the power delivery is smoother than at low revs making it easier to fine balance rather than at a 'lumpy' slow tickover.
I won't forget him at the Anniversary event at the Woolwich Arsenal. V four wheel off the ground and no need to paddle the &R round at the end of the runs like the "youngsters".

Johnny B
I remember that well. He said he wouldn't run the Porcupine racer again unless someone underwrote the potentially 20 grand engine rebuild. :cry:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

I was taking part in the Minety Vale trial many years ago, I was on a 500 18S basically a road bike just stripped of anything was wasn't wanted to save weight, but as you know still heavy. I was trying to make my way along this rock strewn stream and falling off and trying to pick my bike up from where we were both laying in a foot of water, then who comes along making it look like some kind of showroom demonstration, yes Mr Miller just gliding over the rocks like they were made of sponge.
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

The first time I saw Sammy Miller was at a local trial in the Sixties. I was struggling with my 16MC and watched him trickling down a very slippery and steep slope. "What's that funny sound?" I realized he was balancing the Aerial with the decompressor. I learnt a lot that day just watching him. I still have the 16MC but it seems to have put on a lot of weight over the years yet nothing has been changed.
electrajohnt

Post by electrajohnt »

My recollection of him is from the first Classic TT, it was at the small “grandstand” at the Creg. In between races I had gone walk around the bike park looking at bikes, came back to the stand and he's sat there talking to my missus, so I sat with him also, very nice, unaffected man. After he had gone another chap who was with him remained to continue talking, forgotten his name but he was the fella who rebuilt the bikes for the museum, he also was very matter of fact and interesting to listen too. They will have obviously forgotten this episode but I felt privileged that they had taken the time to talk with us.
JohnT