Electric help please

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
electrajohnt

Re: Electric help please

Post by electrajohnt »

Thanks all, It will be later before I can look at it. I been told to paint the back gate, not brave enough to defy that instruction.
JohnT
Groily

Post by Groily »

If the back gate is painted and you are seriously going to play with the voltage regulator, you need as much info as you can get.

The RB107 and earlier MCR2 are very similar (the latter is easier to open!) and they are well explained here: https://matchlessclueless.com/electrica ... regulator/
Or in Classic Motorcycle Electrics Manual, by the same chap (James Smith) pp 189 et seq.

This might also help shed light - it's a file that covers several CVC units, designed by Lucas as part of its Tech Training so 'from the horse's mouth' as it were - http://www.sbcc.ca/pdf2/Lucas-technical ... 20RF95.pdf But do note the concluding paragraph on page 32 . . . .

Therefore, like DM2, I wouldn't advise playing too much without understanding exactly how it works, as it's all too easy to make things worse, or damage the dynamo even. A modern electronic box with the same four F A D E (or D E A F) terminals is an easy fit-and-forget option, not that expensive and can be hidden inside the original box if you wanted.

While I appreciate that there are plenty of people who are ace at playing with mechanical regulators and make them work beautifully, I am not of their number, preferring in this instance to benefit from modern wizardry!
electrajohnt

Post by electrajohnt »

Back again,
Thanks to all for the information. Now I am becoming used to the drill method, connecting D&F together then a couple of bulbs earthed to the casing I can definitely feel a kick on the drill when the bulbs light up.
1) Going back to DM2 suggested test. I have opened up the regulator and gently cleaned the contacts. Regulator looks very clean inside. The bent over tags holding the cover on appeared to be undisturbed except for the row nearest the row of terminals these appeared to have been altered slightly, maybe someone has tried to open it before and stopped after bending that row of tags.
2) instruction to disconnect A on the regulator and look for a voltage on terminal D on the regulator. I get 0.2V.
3) Instruction to then look for a voltage on A terminal, there is zero voltage there.

Thinking about maybe going to an electronic device, I have done a google search for DVR2 without success. Where will I find what I need.

JohnT
JohnT
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

electrajohnt wrote:
Thinking about maybe going to an electronic device, I have done a google search for DVR2 without success. Where will I find what I need.

JohnT
Take a look at https://www.dynamoregulators.com/voltage-regulators.php

Malc
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

+1 for the DVR2.

My AJ had one when I purchased it nearly 3 years ago. Suffered some abuse when old wires dropped out of old bullets on the wiring loom. Once the wiring faults were rectified (no pun intended ...) it was fine and is still going strong. My little Beeza's rectifier was missing when I acquired it, guess whats lurking in an old Lucas housing now.

From a technical perspective, a modern electronic regulator is far superior to even the most well set up, 70 year old Lucas mechanical job (heresy I know). A mechanical voltage regulator is a very crude solution but excellent when it was the only solution. The only reason Lucas didn't produce a superior electronic version was they were 50 years too early for the technology.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol: