G80CS Rear Brake Drum Ovality?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Iron Head

G80CS Rear Brake Drum Ovality?

Post by Iron Head »

When I was last able to ride the above (‘54 with half width hub) before lockdown I was getting considerable rear brake pedal oscillation under braking. Drum has been removed/replaced way back as tab washers are a bit of a dogs breakfast. I suspect I have got ovality from desert riding in the US but does the installed ‘fit' of the drum, fasteners etc allow the potential for some eccentricity if left unchecked or is everything a snug fit on the hub? Thanks.

Iron Head
ajscomboman

Re: G80CS Rear Brake Drum Ovality?

Post by ajscomboman »

Everything is a snug fit, it's a real common problem. I have 3 that do exactly the same thing but well within MOT limits. If it's really bad it'll need skimming.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Thanks Rob as always for the great advice. Assume this therefore also rules out the need for any attempt to centre the brake plate as it doesn't appear there is anything to centre?! Are the pattern drum/sprockets from India an option or should I steer well clear?

Iron Head
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm not 100% sure this would help in your case, but I always apply a brake whilst I tighten a wheel spindle in order to centralise the assembly.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Iron Head wrote:Thanks Rob as always for the great advice. Assume this therefore also rules out the need for any attempt to centre the brake plate as it doesn't appear there is anything to centre?! Are the pattern drum/sprockets from India an option or should I steer well clear?

Iron Head
I can't comment on the India made items as I have no first hand experience of them, the club do sell quite a few fixed drum/sprocket types and I don't see many returns. However we do not stock 010293 which is what you require. AMC Classic Spares do list a sprocket but I have no idea of stock availability.

There is no way of trying to centre the rear brake plate unfortunately.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Thanks Rob and Mick.

Iron Head