I've tried pushing, grunting and shoving then had to

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Re: I've tried pushing, grunting and shoving then had to

Post by Plugsnpoints »

moley wrote:You have got the correct size there are two sized 1/2 and 5/8 i beleive ? Andy

Hi Andy I ordered two sizes so should be ok (I hope!).

It dawned on me last night-I haven't fitted the pegs yet and didn't want to scratch the new paint.

I'll try again when the bike's nearer completion and I'll be able give them a tap when they're bolted on!

Andy
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

WD 40
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Duck oil. the rubbers will slide on and as the oil dries it glues the rubbers firmly in place.

Have you ever thought how the fit the very long grips onto lawn mower handles? Now you know.

WD may damage / desolve some rubber compounds.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I had trouble fitting new h/bar grips and resorted to lubricating them with oil.
There's a threshold in the doorway which requires a good heave to get the front wheel over it when pulling the bike backwards left-handed out of the shed (which is raised about 10" above the ground) and then down the ramp.
Shed ramp (640x480).jpg
First time out after fitting the grips the heave resulted in the grip sliding off. Fortunately the bike fell away from me whilst I ended up on my back in the overgrowth with the grip held high in the air like an Olympic torch.

Which reminds me of the first time I put the bike away after laying a piece of carpet loose in the shed. I have to ride up the ramp into the shed a bit quick (it's steeper than it looks) but when I braked the whole carpet slid along and I hit the bench across the back, still going rather quickly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

SPRIDDLER wrote:I had trouble fitting new h/bar grips and resorted to lubricating them with oil.
There's a threshold in the doorway which requires a good heave to get the front wheel over it when pulling the bike backwards left-handed out of the shed (which is raised about 10" above the ground) and then down the ramp.
Shed ramp (640x480).jpg
First time out after fitting the grips the heave resulted in the grip sliding off. Fortunately the bike fell away from me whilst I ended up on my back in the overgrowth with the grip held high in the air like an Olympic torch.

Which reminds me of the first time I put the bike away after laying a piece of carpet loose in the shed. I have to ride up the ramp into the shed a bit quick (it's steeper than it looks) but when I braked the whole carpet slid along and I hit the bench across the back, still going rather quickly.
That made me giggle Neville, and it's my birthday, even better!

We've all done daft things.

As a teenager I squirted oil down the bore to test the compression. It wouldn't turn over as it locked so took the plug out. I then gave it a swift kick. My god did the Castrol sting my eye as it took the full force of it coming out at full pelt!

I reckon some (most?!!) of us have a hint of a cross between Last of the Summer Wine and Wallace and Gromit in us, wanting to own such machines.

Andy
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Hairspray works on handlebar grips, but on footpegs i have always used the 'old timers'tips.
Good old bit of spit on the inside of the footpeg rubbers and a swift thump with a club hammer. Dont tap it, hit it. Never fails and they stay on
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Happy birthday, Andy :beer:

alanengineer wrote:Hairspray works on handlebar grips, but on footpegs i have always used the 'old timers' tips.
Surely you don't need hairspray with a wig Alan?
Would my Brylcreem do the trick?
clive

Post by clive »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Which reminds me of the first time I put the bike away after laying a piece of carpet loose in the shed. I have to ride up the ramp into the shed a bit quick (it's steeper than it looks) but when I braked the whole carpet slid along and I hit the bench across the back, still going rather quickly.
My first motorised transport was a Lambretta scooter. I was learning how to use the clutch by going down the front drive into the garage. Finally got the hang of it and said to my friend hop on the back and off we went, I nearly stalled so gave it a handful of throttle. We sailed into the garage and as I tried to brake we slid along on the sand my father had liberally spread to dry up the oil all cars then dripped. On we went and stopped with the front wheel sticking out of the far end of the garage whilst the remains of the door slowly swung open above us.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: On we went and stopped with the front wheel sticking out of the far end of the garage whilst the remains of the door slowly swung open above us.
:rofl:

I just had to nip out to take a pic of my 92 yr old neighbour's dilapidated garage.
I managed to convince her to stop driving two years ago as she's been stone deaf for 20 years and couldn't hear her Micra's engine revving its nuts off but used to drop the clutch and leap away whether in 1st or reverse. She had two new clutches every year. After a local builder had rebuilt the end wall of the garage a couple of times she agreed to let him extend the garage by 6', leaving the first course of bricks from the original end wall as a 'stop' bar.
2020-04-18 Moyras garage 004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

Spriddler. You reminded me of a chum of yesteryear who enjoyed the occasional Tipple. He drove a Mk7 Jaguar and had a tennis ball hanging on a string from the garage roof. When the ball hit his windscreen he stopped. On night his kids moved the string forward about a couple of feet. Mike drove in till the ball hit his screen by which time he had driven through the garage wall.