webcam

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

webcam

Post by 56G80S »

Well, I thought I'd get a cheap webcam.

No point ordering on Ebay from China, or from Ebay from suppliers tagged as "London" but when you scroll down to "Sellers Details" they are actually in China!

There appears to be nowt under £30 and as I intend mostly using it for work damned if I'm spending more. The delivery date are all too far away in any case as I've a Zoom conference on Monday morning 20 April.

I looked at using the Android 'phone as a webcam, and downloaded DroidCam. No wifi in my home office so I wanted to connect by USB. No joy. Apparently I needed to install a ADB driver but there's not one on the Nokia website, every other 'phone was there. DroidCam pointed me to download sites but not a choice I want to take, too many hazards!

I've been using computers for work since 1978, writing programmes in BASIC on a 64Kb business machine at ICI. Subsequently, using the old Ashton Tate Dbase etc and still using Word, Excel and the rest of the Microsoft suite. But help needed. Has anyone else done this and what's a virus free site from which to dowload drivers.

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

Re: webcam

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote: No wifi in my home office so I wanted to connect by USB. No joy.
Listen, John. 2.jpg

(Sorry, bored :roll: ).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Ironically I have the string but no wifi. When I had the work done on the house, I had an ethernet cable fitted! But that's no use for the 'phone. Limited signal and no link to house wifi.

I'll follow the links.

Update - Argos say not available for delivery to my postcode for their's. Curry's out of stock. PlayStore, yep, I'd looked at these but also read the reviews. They are pointer apps that only really direct to the relevant phone manufacturers websites ADB point. There is no such point at the Nokia website!

It's a PITA. I'll have try and use the 'phone and do the meeting(s) from the semi derelict front bedroom, well not derelict but full of tat and awaiting emptying and re-decoration.

Cheers

John
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Whoppeee. DroidCam app working and I appear to get the 'phone to work as a webcam. An Aussie YouTuber had the answer. For USB mode, first go into wifi mode and enter 0.0.0.0 in the top box, then go onto USB option.

I don't think the mic is working in webcam mode though.

I need to test it with Zoom ready for business activity on Monday.

Johnny B