5 bolt hub

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
r wheat

5 bolt hub

Post by r wheat »

Hi I have a rear wheel that resembles my 1941 matchless rear wheel but has a 7" hub and the sprocket is held by 5 bolts to the hub, where has the war bikes have 6 bolts and 6" brake, does any one know when the 5 bolt sprocket was first fitted thanks Richard
clive

Re: 5 bolt hub

Post by clive »

Using the archives and looking at the parts lists the drum changes were in 1948 when they went to a 6 hole 7 inch drum followed by 1950 when the 5 hole 7 inch drum/sprocket was used for the swinging arm Road 350s and 500s. The rigid machines retained the 6 hole 7 inch drum but used the 5 hole hub for both by 1951. Oh the rivets counted during this lockdown! Will we be seeing an advert for the drum?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
r wheat

Re: 5 bolt hub

Post by r wheat »

Hi many thanks for the answer, the wheel came with matchless 1948 basket case 350 the spindle is a large 5/8 bolt with the threads shot, the wheel was good, bearings ok so I had it powder coated thinking that it actually belonged to the machine, I only realised something was wrong when I got a parts manual, so I will now be looking for a complete 6 bolt 7" rear wheel hub. yes at some point I well may be up for sale. thanks again cheers Richard