Oil Return after an oil change

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Hedgehog

Oil Return after an oil change

Post by Hedgehog »

Hi All

In a bit of a panic !

I've just carried out an oil change on my 57 16MS ( First time I've changed the oil on an old British bike )

Had the bike 3 years but not used it on the road much in that time (about 100 miles). Its not been started in a few months so I drained the sump and the oil tank and re filled to the level.

It started up first kick and idled as I was watching for oil return but there was none and the level in the tank didn't appear to drop at all. After about 20/30 seconds I stopped it for fear of damage.

Prior to this the oil return was very small at idle , not sure if this means anything but the bike seemed to go well.

In the manual it says drain the oil and refill , I can't find mention of any other procedure that needs to be followed.

Does it take time to sort itself out after an oil change or have I broken it ?

Thanks for any advice.

Andy
Rob Harknett

Re: Oil Return after an oil change

Post by Rob Harknett »

It could take 2/3 minutes to first refill the sump, then start to return oil to the tank. It will first appear to bubble and spit.
When did you last clean the oil filter?
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Rob Harknett wrote:It could take 2/3 minutes to first refill the sump, then start to return oil to the tank. It will first appear to bubble and spit.
Hi Rob

There doesn't appear to be a filter that I can see, the book shows one in the oil feed pipe coming off the bottom of the oil tank. Mine doesn't look like the pipes are designed to come off. I'll try to put a picture up.

I'm very new to classic British bikes so in a steep leaning curve at the moment.

Thanks

Andy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Don't worry; it can take several minutes.
All fully discussed in the link below, from the 'Frequently asked questions' section of this website:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13368
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Rob Harknett wrote:It could take 2/3 minutes to first refill the sump, then start to return oil to the tank. It will first appear to bubble and spit.
Rob

Can't come apart , its been changed from original assume.

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Don't worry; it can take several minutes.
All fully discussed in the link below, from the 'Frequently asked questions' section of this website:

Thanks for that , didn't think !

Andy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Andy Hinkinson wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:Don't worry; it can take several minutes.

Thanks for that , didn't think !

Andy
No prob.
Since you mentioned that you're new to Brit bikes (and I've nothing much else to do ;) ) the following brief overview may comfort you...…...
The H/W single main and big end bearings are ball or roller type and are fed by a reciprocating plunger type oil pump delivering pulses of oil and can happily survive running for a few minutes without additional lubrication. The twin engines have shell big end bearings and are fed by ('require') a rotary pump delivering a continuous flow at higher pressure.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Andy Hinkinson wrote:Can't come apart , its been changed from original assume.
Hi

Those oil pipes are original or extremely good copies - they just pull off, use a little oil on them when you refit.

My original pipes and ferrules:
Ferrules.png
The oil screen can fall down into the pipe so if it's not in the tube from the tank have a firkle in the pipe ;)

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Have you got this manual? http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... dition.pdf
See page 13. re filter problems and oil return
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Rob Harknett wrote:Have you got this manual? http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... dition.pdf
See page 13. re filter problems and oil return
I do now , Thank you !

Andy