Flat centre stand spring

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
REW

Flat centre stand spring

Post by REW »

I need two more flat centre stand springs, part num 016399 - up to 1963. I have just bought one from spares but they have now run out. The later model spring (029488) mostly for post 1963 bikes is longer but is in stock. How much longer is it and is there any other difference, in the profile, for example?

It would not be hard to elongate the fitting holes and it begs the question, why do I need more than one? When you've buggered one up...
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
56G80S

Re: Flat centre stand spring

Post by 56G80S »

It's good you can admit your errors, Ron.

Good luck with it.

Johnny B
REW

Post by REW »

Yes John, my cunning plan re a stronger spring to hold the otherwise wonderful replacement centre stand didn't work first time, so I need some more to experiment on :twisted:
Ron

G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I thought by now RS would have said that more will be ordered on Monday.
Roy
bob121

Post by bob121 »

I now regret not winding the spring another turn before putting the engine back in. First test ride I spent hooking the stand up with my foot. Working on a stronger clip. But the stand is fantastic.
clive

Post by clive »

"Working on a stronger clip".
stronger clip? just bash it with a hammer worked for me, even with the rather heavy RS stand. Needs a subtle bash not too hard or the stand will not clip into it, too soft and it won't retain it. By chance I was right first time. :rofl: (that is a rather heavy stand not a rather heavy RS :twisted:)
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
REW

Post by REW »

That'll do it Roy, thanks.

bob121 I note at least one member has done exactly that with the desired result but I cannot imagine the effort needed to do it. I too am messing about with clips etc and may yet simply create an easy on/off locking mechanism. Early days but the effort is well worth it given the success of the stand itself!

And yes Clive, I may need a bigger hammer and another clip to sacrifice, hence my query. :oops:
Ron

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I can't help but think a lot of you must have some varying spring types and strengths. Out of the 6 that I have on my bikes only one gave any hassle and that I found to be a weak aftermarket spring. All my stands spring up with a clunk into the clip and stay there.

I know of several type springs that have been made over the years and every one is slightly different from original springs I have. I'm sure you'll manage to sort it Ron.
bob121

Post by bob121 »

clive wrote:"Working on a stronger clip".
stronger clip? just bash it with a hammer worked for me, even with the rather heavy RS stand. Needs a subtle bash not too hard or the stand will not clip into it, too soft and it won't retain it. By chance I was right first time. :rofl: (that is a rather heavy stand not a rather heavy RS :twisted:)
I bent mine by hand on the bike while I was out on it. After a mile or so the stand had pushed it back enough to drop again. New clip and spring fitted. The old spring was already weakening with the original stand in place. I've fitted the original clip back in place and bent it over. Not confident about it working, so I might have a go at a clip of my own if I get time this afternoon.