QUESTIONS Lockdown Coffee Time quiz.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

QUESTIONS Lockdown Coffee Time quiz.

Post by SPRIDDLER »

A recent post on here reminded me of a quiz I put together several years ago for our section's club night.
There it would have remained were it not for the lockdown when it occurred to me that some folk may appreciate a bit of a challenge to keep the brain cells alive in their coffee break, plus maybe just a dash of surprises/amusement.
There's something for statistics nerds, historians and the idle aged.
No prize as the answers are searchable if inclined.
I'll put the answers in a separate post.

Coffee time Quiz.

1/ Which rider achieved the first Isle Of Man 100mph lap in 1957?

2/ In the 1969 film Easy Rider, what is the name of the character played by Peter Fonda?

3/ Joey Dunlop almost didn't make it to the 1985 TT. Why?

4/ What is the name of the motorcycle gang in the 1953 film the Wild One starring Marlon Brando?

5/ What obstacle in the road do TT riders face at the Bungalow?

6/ Why was the 2001 TT cancelled?

7/ How many junctions on the M25?

8/ Ten times TT winner Stanley Woods would bring the boy scouts a treat at the TT. What was the treat?

9/ Which motorcycle manufacturer turned down the opportunity in 1905 to buy the formula to make custard powder?

10/ John Surtees was the first person to win a world championship on 2 & 4 wheels. How many TT races did he win?

11/ Which rider stopped at Creg-Ny-Baa in the 1968 TT to ask who was winning?

12/ Which singer had a hit record in the 1964 with a motorcycle based song called Terry?

13/ The first motorcycle was created by whom?

14/ What kind of motorcycle did Arnold Schwarzenegger ride in the movie Terminator 2?

15/ When AMC were designing the P10 engine a reed valve was proposed as a crankcase breather. Why was this idea rejected?

16/ What band released the biker anthem ‘Born to be Wild'?

17/ What is the name of the trophy Mike Hailwood was awarded that has also been held by Richard Branson, Amy Johnson and Donald Campbell?

18/ Jawa motorcycles are made in which country?

19/ Who was the commander of H.M.S. Troutbridge?

20/ What is the ideal air/fuel ratio for a petrol engine?

21/ Why does a milking stool have only 3 legs?

22/ Who was forced to resign from the Norton Company in 1948 after designing the Norton Dominator engine?

23/ Which was the first T.V. variety show to be transmitted in colour?

24/ What was the most popular name for baby boys in England and Wales in 2017?

25/ How long is the M25?

26/ Who was the designer who left Velocette to take up the position of Chief Engineer at AMC?

27/ Canadian children's author Michelle Duff was also a grand prix championship runner-up. True or false?

28/ Who was the designer of Triumphs first 650cc vertical twin engine in 1933?

29/ Who manufactured bikes at Grosvener Street, Bradford ?

30/ Which Japanese manufacturer formed their race team specifically to win at the TT?

31/ A third TT course made its debut in 1954 and held its last TT race in 1959, what was the name of this course?

32/ How long is the modern TT course? (Imperial)

33/ The first motorcycle TT in the IOM was held in 1907 on the St Johns course. It later transferred to the Mountain Course. In what year did this happen?

34/ At the first IOM TT in 1907 who won the single cylinder race?

35/ AMC designer Bill Cakebread joined the Institute of Patentees and Inventors, but after doing so why did he refuse to add the initials to his name?

End.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Re: Lockdown Coffee Time quiz.

Post by 56G80S »

Sprid's Quiz! Great idea. Hardly know any answers but at question 10, should that be "only" rather than "first"? Can't wait for answers

Brightened a stressful day. Remote working and no way can get done today but put into context as just heard step mother in law in hospital with heart atteck and will now have to go into hospital for a stent. She's been great to us and was for LInda's Dad (who died in Feb).

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Re: Lockdown Coffee Time quiz.

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote: at question 10, should that be "only" rather than "first"?
Probably, John, but by putting 'first' the answer remains correct forever. Putting 'only' risks it becoming out of date.

Brightened a stressful day. Remote working and no way can get done today but put into context as just heard step mother in law in hospital with heart atteck and will now have to go into hospital for a stent. She's been great to us and was for LInda's Dad (who died in Feb).
That's more than enough stress for you in addition to the current pandemic. :cry:
I'm on day 43 of self-isolation and the novelty of it is wearing off (I'm 75) and I don't want to bring gloom onto these Forums as there's more than enough in the media already but hopefully the quiz adds just a little bit of 'take it or leave it' distraction or even fun. Well, I enjoyed doing it :) .
39speedtwin

Re: QUESTIONS Lockdown Coffee Time quiz.

Post by 39speedtwin »

Neville, you posted the answers to quickly, I was only half way through it, then only got 3 correct.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Doh! I saw the answers before the questions!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Which bit in the titles: ANSWERS - Coffee Time quiz did you have trouble with chaps? :roll: ;)
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I thoroughly enjoyed that Neville, and it surprised me that I knew more than I thought! No where near 100% but nicely over 50% which I was well chuffed with. :beer: :beer:
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I could only answer the music questions.........................somes me up

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow