ANSWERS Part 2 - Coffee Time quiz

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

ANSWERS Part 2 - Coffee Time quiz

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Cont'd from above post......

Scroll down for the ANSWERS!

18/ Jawa motorcycles are made in which country?
Answer: Czechoslovakia

19/ Who was the commander of H.M.S. Troutbridge?
Answer. Captain Povey. BBC radio comedy, ‘The Navy Lark'.

20/ What is the ideal air/fuel ratio for a petrol engine?
Answer: 14.7 : 1 (Allow 14 to 16).

21/ Why does a milking stool have only 3 legs?
Answer: Because it will never rock on an uneven parlour floor.

22/ Who was forced to resign from the Norton Company in 1948 after designing the Norton Dominator engine?
Answer: Bert Hopwood. Joe Craig, Head of the Development & Racing Department declared Hopwood's engine underpowered, delayed production and forced Hopwood to resign. He joined BSA in '48 and in 1955 when Hopwood re-joined Norton he took the opportunity to re-look at the Joe Craig ‘revised' design, finding that no alterations had been made.

23/ Which was the first T.V. variety show to be transmitted in colour?
Answer: It was the Black and White Minstrels in 1967 on BBC 2.
The first Black and White Minstrels was shown in 1957 in black and white when the black-face makeup was actually red as black did not show up on film very well.

24/ What was the most popular name for baby boys in England and Wales in 2017?
Answer: Muhammud, which beat Oliver to the top spot.
(Combining the 14 different spellings included in the ONS data they total 7,307 boys, which is more than 1,000 ahead of Oliver).

25/ How long is the M25?
Answer: 117 miles.

26/ Who was the designer who left Velocette to take up the position of Chief Engineer at AMC?
Answer: Charles Udall

27/ Canadian children's author Michelle Duff was also a grand prix championship runner-up.
Answer: True, competing as Mike Duff she was 2nd in the 1965 World Championship

28/ Who was the designer of Triumphs first 650cc vertical twin engine in 1933?
Answer: Val Page designed the engine, however, despite being a sound design it was very short lived and soon replaced by Edward Turner's Speed Twin.

29/ Who manufactured bikes at Grosvener Street, Bradford ?
Answer: Scott

30/ Which Japanese manufacturer formed their race team specifically to win at the TT?
Answer: Honda. In September 1958 and entered in 1959 as the OkuraTrading Company as they thought that if they applied to go to a motorcycle race as members of a company that didn't even do any exporting they wouldn't receive either exit visas or permission to take out foreign currency from the Japanese Government. Therefore they borrowed the name of Okura Trading Co., which had helped them out with machinery imports. Interesting read here:
https://global.honda/heritage/episodes/ ... trace.html

31/ A third TT course made its debut in 1954 and held its last TT race in 1959, what was the name of this course?
Answer: The Clypse Course.

32/ How long is the modern TT course? (Imperial)
Answer: Thirty seven and three quarter miles.

33/ The first motorcycle TT in the IOM was held in 1907 on the St Johns course. It later transferred to the Mountain Course. In what year did this happen?
Answer: 1911

34/ At the first IOM TT in 1907 who won the single cylinder race?
Answer: The single-cylinder class race was won by Charles R. Collier riding a 3 1/2hp (431cc) Matchless in 4 hours, 8 minutes and 8 seconds at an average race speed of 38.21 mph. His prize was a trophy and £25. His brother Harry Collier, also riding a Matchless, had problems with an engine seizure on lap 2 and eventually retired on lap 9.

35/ AMC designer Bill Cakebread joined the Institute of Patentees and Inventors, but after doing so why did he refuse to add the initials to his name?
Answer: Because the initials for Members of the Institute of Patentees and Inventors were M.Inst.P.I. which meant his name
would have read Bill Cakebread Minced Pie. (‘Motorcycle Apprentice: Matchless - in Name and Reputation'. By Bill Cakebread).

That's all folks!
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Dave T_LAPSED

Re: ANSWERS Part 2 - Coffee Time quiz

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Thanks Spriddler! Thoroughly enjoyed finding just how much I don't know. Sort of guessed the reed valve though but knew only about four of the others. Dave.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I think I scraped 4/5 Well done Sprid.

Johnny B
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Best quiz that I have seen in ages. Well done.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

FB_IMG_1588306894044.jpg
Michelle Duff sent me this photo from when she raced an AJS 31 CSR at Thruxton in 1962.

Rob C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Nice one, Rob. There's something very attractive about a gurll riding a powerful bike.
Some years ago I was overtaken in a country lane at high speed by a Gold Star, clip-ons etc. flicking through the leafy bends. The rider's long blonde hair blowing in the wind and comely figure gave me a frisson of desire until I pulled into the bikers' caff at the top of Bury Hill and saw that it was a bloke. :oops:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Sprid, I'm absolutely sure that you are the only one who's ever been caught out like that.

I do still remember having my first skid lid (!) thrown at me by Sue Armstrong with the instruction "You'll wear that in future". She was stunning but not very approachable.

Johnny B