work to do

General purpose topics/chat goes in here

work to do

Post by 1608 »

Well, I bit the bulet and treated myself to a bike lift and started on some long awaited jobs. The Ariel suffered a stuck throttle opening and nearly sounded like Nev's violin example. As a result the '58 engine complained with unfamiliar rattles. A strip down and rebuild ( with no new parts needed) revealed no obvious suspects. IE. all the valve train was fine, no contact btwn piston and valves, no bent valves or p/rods, and all relevent cam shaft, followers and bushings were good. Small ends good too. Bike still has the dreaded rattles, which I can live with. Any observations welcome.
Next, the G12 is already on the lift. The swing arm appears to have excessive end float ( don't think the bushing or spindle are too bad ) so a shim behind the bush may do. Why do we persist in using a heavy grade oil in this component
only to have it all leak away in no time. I intend filling with grease ( as the po fitted a grease nipple anyway)as its such a slow moving heavily loaded part. The very heavy clutch needs attention to save on several recently broken cables, I suspect the springs are too far wound in or even coil bound. And lastly, an annoying light knock seemingly half engine speed so maybe a cam follower. Should keep me busy for a few minutes!
clive

Re: work to do

Post by clive »

ain't the bike lift the business. One was the present to myself when I retired, wish I had bought one 30 years earlier.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

+1 On the bike lift!

Wouldn't be without it.

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Don't put grease in the S/A, it won't reach the bushes which are meant for oil only.
Dave.

Post by 1608 »

Thanks Dave, well considered point. It may have become more obvious to me when dismantled.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

My previous G80 had play in the s/a, the pin was rusted on the drive side. The pin had grease in it. It hadn't reached the bearings but water had! If D140 leaks out has anyone tried gearbox semi liquid grease?
Bike lift, sliced bread, best thing I have ever,ever invested in.
Play nicely now, Dave.
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

Dave T wrote:My previous G80 had play in the s/a, the pin was rusted on the drive side. The pin had grease in it. It hadn't reached the bearings but water had! If D140 leaks out has anyone tried gearbox semi liquid grease?
Play nicely now, Dave.
Land Rover swivel hub grease Semi Fluid, and so far hasn't leaked out.
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

Dave T wrote:My previous G80 had play in the s/a, the pin was rusted on the drive side. The pin had grease in it. It hadn't reached the bearings but water had! If D140 leaks out has anyone tried gearbox semi liquid grease?
Play nicely now, Dave.
In the timber trade we used Oregon brand red fluid grease for a variety of applications, be ideal for this.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Bit late on this one. It's a long time and many 10,000 miles since I replaced the s/arm bushes. They were a tad tight on the (then) new spindle and I was lucky enough to be able to borrow a reamer with a gadget to centralise at the other end. I seem to recall that I soaked them (posssibly pointlessly) in oil before fitting. I didn't have SAE 120 (that is from memory, whatever the right SAE it is) at the time and so I used the SAE 50 I had on the basis that "owt's better than nowt".

I subsequently topped up with SAE120 and have continued to do so, as it leaks out. It's not so hard using a syringe.

Perhaps the SAE 50 opened the path for the SAE120 but it all seems OK. Had a lot of use.

Johnny B