Tank painting recommendation please

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
choosey2

Re: Tank painting recommendation please

Post by choosey2 »

Hi,
I have had 2 tanks done by Glenn (GD Designs) thoroughly recommend and an easy person to deal with,
BR
Clive
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I used Dennis' Motorcycle Resprays, Cirencester, Wilts some years ago (he is still on interweb and so presumably still trading) and he did a really good job on my '54 G80 tank. I then managed to drop it during the rebuild and he repaired the damage completely invisibly at very reasonable cost - highly recommended. I recently used a man who attends Kempton for my 18S tank and although the tank finish was excellent, the job was not finished properly as the water slide transfers had been applied but not lacquered - he said 'you can varnish them yourself' - not the service I expected! Andy!
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Looking to have a 1954 G9 tank resprayed, if costs allow hoping to get all chrome with red paint, are these recommended company's able to do this?
Mike
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Had most of my restoration paintwork (AMC and Meriden Triumph) done by Otto Racs (or Ernie to his mates). He works out of a farm unit a mile or two from Baldock in north Hertfordshire.
As far as I know, he doesn't have a website but does have a Facebook page... https://www.facebook.com/O-A-RACS-Motor ... 018460801/
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Mikeydpippin - I don't know if Glenn has a tame chromer that he works with but one of my tanks that Terry Potter did was for a Norton ES2 which had been painted all over, he suggested, correctly, that it should be chromed with painted panels and proceeded to make a superb job once the tank had been chromed. It will be expensive though.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

I had my tinware (tank was yet chromed) done by Glenn. I can confirm : excellent job (Pictures : G12CSR 1964, ready to ride...). Bits collected in Kettering and back 2 days later.
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Plugsnpoints wrote:
AJS petrol tank resprayed.jpg

I stripped it down to bare metal all over, treated the inside for rust using a professional treatment, thenI lead loaded the small dent where the valve lifter 'touched' it in the usual place, etch primed it used two coats of 1k black, then finished off with three coats of "petrol proof" (that remains to be seen!) lacquer. I didn't want to use 2k as I don't have a proper respirator.

I cut it back using rubbing compound, T Cut, Autoglym, Dodo Carnuba wax then finished with Dodo paint sealer. It came out pretty shiny.

I just have to get the gold D lines painted on. I have contacted a professional to do those, but during lockdown I might have a go myself. I did it last time and it was ok, but it took a while (ages!) to get it right.

This is my "lockdown" project!
I sprayed my headlight shell and mudguards in 2K myself and really pleased with the results. I was nervous about doing it as I didn't have a positive air feed mask, but when I took my tanks to Glenn, he took me through the process (he doesn't use one either and he's been spraying 2K for over 20 years). Key is good prep, getting the temp right, good ventilation and keep mindful procedure to minimise inhalation. Saved me a small fortune doing it myself, but also through the research and practice, Im now confident to do a complete bike (another restoration skill acquired).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.