Time to replace the Belstaff jacket?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Time to replace the Belstaff jacket?

Post by 56G80S »

Last year I rewaxed the old Belstaff jacket I bought new a long time ago and noticed some threadbare areas at the inside of the elbows, in the creases. It had got damp there before and always used to be bone dry, even at Celles sur Belle IJR!

I went on here, https://www.motorcyclenews.com/product- ... e-jackets/ and although out of date looked at the ARMR jackets in the £110 - 130 range on the West Midlands Motorcycles Ebay shop. Also looked at some other reviews and they seemed to come out well. I also looked at more expensive Held jackets as the tank top bag I use (bought secondhand) is well made, secure, waterproof and well designed.

Obviously, not much motorcycling this year but I'd usually go out quite a bit and do some long journeys. I's not unknown to do a ride round to Scarborough and back for an afternoon trip, doing a big loop of about 105 miles. I fancy the removable elements to the ARMR as I hope to do more winter riding again.

What recommendations for a tightwad who wants to keep below £150?

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

Re: Time to replace the Belstaff jacket?

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I got a Belstaff type jacket off flea bite with armour. I think it was under £60 new and got some cans of waterproof sealer spray down isle three. Sorted.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Did I see somewhere recently that Belstaff will repair/replace any Belstaff jacket/trousers for an extremely reasonable, almost nominal fee irrespective of age or am I dreaming?

I think it might have been in a VMCC magazine. Research required I think!

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

a group of us all bought MERLIN wax jackets, in fact on the Irish rally they were so well liked by the Maltese visitors most of these subsequently purchased them, a tad more expensive £200 ish, the only criticism is the belt buckle could do with two 'prongs'
stay safe
kind regards
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks a lot. There's some food for thought there, particularly re getting the Belstaff repaired. I have the legs as well and they're not in such bad nick.

Now may be the time to do it, while off the road with the lockdown.

Johnny B
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
bitza

Post by bitza »

Your nearest store is in Manchester , for drop off , they will asses the work required and you take it from there, but they do free waxing and simple stuff like press studs etc.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Just to follow up, I sent an email to Belstaff and set out that I thought there was a little more to do than than under the "free offer" scheme but paying for a repair may be my cheapest option.

I got a very polite and prompt response from Sophie setting out not taking on work until the lockdown ends but listing some information I culd supply to make a quick start when that happened. Unfortunately, one of the questions was proof of purchase. Despite my tendency to keep things, even I don't have receipts from the late 1970's!

Also took a look at those Merlin jackets and they really do look like an option despite being more expensive than the more modern stuff. I know it's old styly kit and maybe I should move forward. The thing is that the Belstaff kept me warm and dry for a lot of years in some really harsh conditions.

Thanks ever so for the helpful input. As for Manchester, I am probably going to Leominster next Tuesday so my wife can pick up carer duties for my step mother in law when she comes out of hospital provided she continues to make progress after the 4 heart attacks and stent fitting.

Johnny B
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Hi John I have a new un used Rukka jacket that I bought for the trip to this years IJR yours for 20% off.£1000.00 and its yours. And yes it will fit over your Belstaff. :lol:
Roy
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Roy, generous though your offer is, I fear that I must decline. I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that you had lost £200 on the deal.

I assume that you were able to get an XXXL version of one of these https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/pro ... ens-jacket but I assure you that, even with the Belstaff on underneath, it would be too large for my frame despite it being, as you know, all muscle and bone.

Johnny B