Cleaning a Spark Plug

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
bazajay

Cleaning a Spark Plug

Post by bazajay »

Just a quick one - I am setting up my newly restored 1949 18S and the carb is taking a bit of sorting, the pre monobloc takes a bit of setting up. I am getting there (slowly) but its running a bit rich - drop the needle then test drive, screw out the pilot screw then test etc etc. It was ( and still is I suspect) running a bit rich (would like to check the float height but that seems like a whole new barrel of fish with a pre monobloc).
Anyway to the point, I bought two plugs from the club and my routine is - run the bike, check the plug (usually sooty black), adjust bike, put in new plug and clean the other plug (done gently on my little bench rotating wire brush) repeat ad infinitum until its sorted.
I have always done this with my bikes (last time I had one was many moons ago) but now I seem to be hearing NEW PLUGS CANNOT BE CLEANED!!!
Please tell me is this really true? Or is just another manufacturer lie to make me buy new ones? I am not over aggressive with the cleaning, just enough to give me a fresh start to check my mixture. I can't buy a new plug for each test!

The truth is out there - please let me know!!

Thanks All ,and stay safe.
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -Logic is like a bulldozer, it is slow but it will get you through any problem!
SPRIDDLER

Re: Cleaning a spark lug

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Word on the street is that the insulator over the centre electrode isn't glazed these days so vigorous cleaning with a hard wire brush leaves scratches which can cause tracking.
I use a soft brass wire hand brush gently (intended for suede shoes) which doesn't seem to cause any problem. I certainly wouldn't use a powered steel wire brush.
I never attempt to clean 'up inside' as usually it's enough to scrape the sooty rim of the body with a sharp knife and draw a piece of emery paper between the electrodes.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Re: Cleaning a Spark Plug

Post by Rob Harknett »

bazajay wrote:Just a quick one - I am setting up my newly restored 1949 18S and the carb is taking a bit of sorting, the pre monobloc takes a bit of setting up. I am getting there (slowly) but its running a bit rich - drop the needle then test drive, screw out the pilot screw then test etc etc. It was ( and still is I suspect) running a bit rich (would like to check the float height but that seems like a whole new barrel of fish with a pre monobloc).
Anyway to the point, I bought two plugs from the club and my routine is - run the bike, check the plug (usually sooty black), adjust bike, put in new plug and clean the other plug (done gently on my little bench rotating wire brush) repeat ad infinitum until its sorted.
I have always done this with my bikes (last time I had one was many moons ago) but now I seem to be hearing NEW PLUGS CANNOT BE CLEANED!!!
Please tell me is this really true? Or is just another manufacturer lie to make me buy new ones? I am not over aggressive with the cleaning, just enough to give me a fresh start to check my mixture. I can't buy a new plug for each test!

The truth is out there - please let me know!!

Thanks All ,and stay safe.
I believe central electrodes have not been glazed since the 70's . So if you do not have old stock plugs on which to use old methods. You should find the word " change " in service books referring to plug service.
DM2

Post by DM2 »

On my two stroke mopeds and cyclemotors I carry some toothpicks, if I manage to oil a plug up a quick wipe around the unglazed central insulator with a toothpick gets the plug firing again.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Unleaded petrol does leave a sooty ring on the circular top edge of the plug but the electrode should stay clean. Try a different plug manufacture, there are fake ngk plugs around!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've not seen any fakes but this is/was on the NGK website.
NGK fake plugs (640x398).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I find NGK short reach last a week in my W/ng, I get Champion from the green plug company, no problem with 'em and they are a tad cheaper. stay safe. Kind regards
ksj_LAPSED

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

go to the f2 motorcycles site , loads on there about old & new plugs
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I have used a toothbrush and methylated spirits and that has worked well for me.

I also use Champion plugs for preference.

Johnny B
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Green Spark plug Co. have quite a lot of NOS plugs, recently bought some KLG FE80's

https://www.gsparkplug.com/ignition/spark-plugs