Mirror recommendations

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Scout63

Mirror recommendations

Post by Scout63 »

I need a rear view mirror for my G80CS which I'm sure was never intended to have one. Any suggestions?
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA
1961 Matchless G80CS
1971 BMW R75/5
1972 Norton Commando Combat Interstate
1978 Yamaha SR500
1979 Moto Guzzi V1000G5 - current project
Mick D

Re: Mirror recommendations

Post by Mick D »

Why not look in the Recommendations section of the forum for a title 'Rear View Mirror'?
Groily

Post by Groily »

Examples:

https://classicpartsltd.com/820-halcyon ... irror.html
https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcyc ... ors_black/

The former are more classic and what I mostly use, either round or faintly rectangular. The Oxford items are a more modern-looking. All are good. Unless you want a mirror on a stalk, not up the bar end that is. There are zillions of options, some homologated for moderns, some making things look further away, etc etc. Spoilt for choice really, and I'd have thought there were good options a bit nearer home too!
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I have found the cheap bar end ones lose their grip on the handlebars and just flop down. Annoying till you get to tighten up again. I did have another cheap bar end one completely disappear of the end of the bar once, never to be found again. Cheap ones About £15 a pair good ones £30 each. i would not by a cheap set again, but i do prefer then in a way as you can get them in Black
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Halcyon (stainless) are probably the best, I also use the Iron Horse (chrome or black) ones https://ironhorsespares.co.uk/shop/ , one of the differences is the angle the mirror sits at the Iron Horse one is vertical where as the Halcyon is about 30 degrees and can make the bike feel a little wider if you are using two, but probably better for narrow bars to avoid elbows.
Both have good image, I find the cheap ones tend to over magnify and distort.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

alanengineer wrote:I have found the cheap bar end ones lose their grip on the handlebars and just flop down.
The expanding clamping piece inside the 'bars is often just a flimsy piece of formed tin strip.
CIMG1810.JPG
I replace mine with a Rawlbolt intended for fixings into concrete/brick of a size appropriate to the i.d. of the 'bars.
Rawlbolt.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Ditto, Nev!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

alanjennings wrote:Ditto, Nev!
Well in that case Alan you need a longer spanner ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Jdraper

Post by Jdraper »

I had bar end mirrors for a while & couldn't get on with them. Catching on things in a crowded garage & awkward to snatch glances at on the road. I went for a modern :shock: look. The mirrors themselves are generic, probably Honda, but look OK. The handlebar fittings are also on a well known auction site and only cost a few pounds. They work, but may offend some...

Jeremy
PS yes I know the line should be blue on the tank, but my paint man thought he knew better...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scout63

Post by Scout63 »

Thanks for the great pics.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA
1961 Matchless G80CS
1971 BMW R75/5
1972 Norton Commando Combat Interstate
1978 Yamaha SR500
1979 Moto Guzzi V1000G5 - current project