CS Petrol Tank Fixings

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Pharisee

CS Petrol Tank Fixings

Post by Pharisee »

I have a bit of a problem with the front mounting studs on my CS petrol tank. They appear to be mounted in rubber bungs inside a tube welded to the bottom of the tank. The problem is that the studs are turning which made it a bit difficult to get the Nylock nuts undone.
Now... assuming(?) that the special stud is undamaged, new rubber bungs are available from the club spares dept.
Is it just a case of pulling the whole assembly out of the tank tube or is it a bit more involved than that? Are the new bungs meant to be glued in place?
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
dave16mct

Re: CS Petrol Tank Fixings

Post by dave16mct »

The rubber bung expands when the nut is tightened, so if it's turning you will have to pull the nut downwards with, perhaps, mole grips as you turn it.
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Are nylocs the correct fastening? Perhaps cut a screwdriver slot into the stud to facilitate assembly/disassembly.

Regards Mick
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It shuld have a tang on it to stop it turning, unless the PO has used a normal bolt: http://www.jampot-spares.com/store/come ... duct=21365
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Thanks for your replies. I'm pretty sure that the bolts are the correct type. I did check on the spares website but noticed they were unavailable. I used the term "Nyloc" as most people use the term "Hoover". The nuts aren't actually Nyloc but they are similar self-locking nuts. The rubber bungs seem a bit 'soggy' and was wondering if the slot in the top that the bolt tang engages with has become damaged or has gone soft enough to allow the bolt to turn. Guess I'll have to dig them out and have a look. At least the new rubbers are available.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.