Heavyweight rear mudguard wiring routes?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Jdraper

Heavyweight rear mudguard wiring routes?

Post by Jdraper »

With the bike ('55 18S) running well, my attention has turned to the electrics, which are entirely absent from the bike apart from the magneto. There are not a lot of cables (bit of an understatement), but the route to the rear light is not clear. running up the inside of the mudguard seems difficult as there are no obvious tags to hold a loom in place - have they rusted off? Seems to me to be at risk of sagging onto the tyre & ripping out..

Manuals are no use as cable routes are not shown anywhere that I have seen.

Jeremy
Mick D

Re: Heavyweight rear mudguard wiring routes?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The rear mudguard on my 61 HW has clips welded along the LH side:
MG Tab.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

55 also had clips.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I bought some new mudguards from India for my G3 basket case project. They had no wiring clips, so I bent up some strips of spring steel and silver soldered them to the inside of the mudguard prior to painting them.

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Some years ago when I had the 'guard off and cleaned I discovered that the clips on mine were missing. I used bathroom sealant to 'glue' a length of garden hose inside the top radius as a conduit. I did thread a length of twine through to serve as a drawstring before refitting. As far as I can tell the tyre has never touched it.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Some years ago when I had the 'guard off and cleaned I discovered that the clips on mine were missing. I used bathroom sealant to 'glue' a length of garden hose inside the top radius as a conduit. I did thread a length of twine through to serve as a drawstring before refitting. As far as I can tell the tyre has never touched it.
Why do I never have good ideas like that? And please don't answer, it's a rhetorical question :D :D :D
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Pharisee wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote:Some years ago when I had the 'guard off and cleaned I discovered that the clips on mine were missing. I used bathroom sealant to 'glue' a length of garden hose inside the top radius as a conduit. I did thread a length of twine through to serve as a drawstring before refitting. As far as I can tell the tyre has never touched it.
Why do I never have good ideas like that? And please don't answer, it's a rhetorical question :D :D :D
Probably because not having your skills and equipment I have to find bodges with left-over DIY stuff. :(
Jdraper

Post by Jdraper »

Many thanks for the replies - I can confirm that there are no traces left of clips welded to the mudguards, so it looks like the bathroom sealant & hose route until I can re-instate something close to the intended solution. A supplementary question is where the loom is supposed to get under the mudguard? I see a hole where is goes into the light and many other holes for the toolboxes and frame bridge mounting, but these are all 1/4", which seem too small compared to the one for the light.

Jeremy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I haven't needed to take my seat off for maybe ten years but I've found a pic showing my wiring diving under the 'guard through a hole just behind the voltage regulator.
Rear lamp entry.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

My 56 G80sS has the clips inside the mudguard (or did as one is damaged at the mo).

I thought the hole that Sprid is referring to was for a bolt through the top rail cross piece?

I'll have a look on Wednesday when I'll next get back to some work on the Matchless.

Johny B