ChipsAway - anyone used them?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

ChipsAway - anyone used them?

Post by 56G80S »

Hi

I wondered if they would be able to tidy up some scratches on my fairing and thought I'd see if anyone had used the, with what kind of results and whether they were expensive?

https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/

Cheers

Johnny B
Last edited by 56G80S on Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Re: ChipsAway - anyone used them?

Post by Rob Harknett »

Do not know what you are referring to. Product I assume is named chips away. But where are scratches and chips on your faring? Paintwork or screen? If on the screen. In the trade we burnished out scratches with various grades of wax. Avoid dwelling on one spot that will cause heat and damage the screen more.
For finishing also windscreen scratches use Brasso metal polish wadding finishing off with car polishing wax.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hi Rob

Cheers, not the screen, the paintwork. I can't use a rattle can for love or money, it always looks rubbish. I've inserted a link so people will know what I'm on about!

It's not even for the Matchless but for the Yamaha, I've managed to scratch the previously immaculate fairing. Going out of the lock up there's a short stretch of gravel, bumpy dirt track running through an in-bye and within two post and wire fences topped with barbed wire to keep the lambs in. There were two new black Jacobs sheep lambs. As I went out I thought I'd get closer to the fence to see them.

No, that was the gear lever not the rear brake. At only 5mph or less, contact with the fence! Irony is, I rarely use the rear brake except at walking speed and I'd not used the wrong foot on the road at all.

Johnny B
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I've used them several times on various cars that I've wanted tidied. They'd be more than you'd want to spend though. :rofl: As with any franchise it's only as good as the guy using the gun.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

ajscomboman wrote:As with any franchise it's only as good as the guy using the gun.
Wasn't that the strap line for Murder Inc.?
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Rob

I like to spend nowt. But the choice between that and making a mess and doing it myself ..........................................and the time involved in cocking it up.

It's only about 30 cms by 15cms.

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Common mistakes people make with spray cans is. They do not clean the area and spray over silicon polish the paint will not adhere to. Good preparation is needed. They also spray too heavily and get runs. You need to get the distance right and not try to cover with one heavy coat.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Rob

Polish? Have you seen my machines, any of them, ever?

I will, however, be having a play with scratches in a spare scrap screen just for fun and will re-read your previous guidance on that first.

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Mask off the area leaving the scratch and a little extra. Build up thin coats of spray then remove the masking and dress back with G10.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'd put a sticker over it (but at 30 x 15cm it's a bit large perhaps).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'