Defunct Motorcycle Dealers

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
spookefoote1956

Re: Defunct Motorcycle Dealers

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Ron Compton - Catford
Joe Francis - New Eltham
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

bjork wrote:According to the dating certificate, my 1960 bike was despatched to a dealer called 'Way of London' NW6. Does anyone know anything about them? I'd love to be able to get or copy a dealer sticker or badge, if they ever had one?
http://dealerdecals.co.uk/
Raymond Way (462x640).jpg
Interesting biography of him, his business, racing, fortunes and his wives here:

http://kilburnwesthampstead.blogspot.co ... d-way.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Expat wrote:Anyone remember a dealership by the name of Deeprose I think it was, in Catford/Lee Green south east London in the ‘70's?

Very sketchy memories of them apart from the owner/managers son being in the same school year in the ‘60's!!

Think I bought some Triumph and maybe Honda parts from them.
Club member 'moley' is a Deeprose in that area. It's not a common name - have emailed him in case there's a family connection. :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Deeprose, Catford,

1958 to 1978 some advert on Google.
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Expat

Post by Expat »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Club member 'moley' is a Deeprose in that area. It's not a common name - have emailed him in case there's a family connection. :?
Will be interesting to hear of the response SPRIDS. I do have very vague recollections of contacting moley quite a while ago with the same query and he advised there was no direct connection. Apologies to him if my post generated the same boring old question.

:D
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)

Post by 1608 »

I used to go to Deprose in Catford for R. Enfield parts in the 70s, I also went to Pride and Clarks a number of times. I got an exchange bored barrel and piston for a bsa m21 there, cost £10. My nearest bike shop was Elite motors Tooting.
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

I was at elite one Saturday. Couple of Scrambles friends worked there. We were standing in that little road where the side entrance came out. The sales staff were ‘teaching' a new rider to take off on his brand new scooter. A couple of false starts and stalls, a bit more coaching and then he took off like a rocket, wheeled straight out of their hands and smashed straight into a lamp post. I am afraid we didn't have the maturity required to treat it as I would now have liked.
bjork

Post by bjork »

Stan Palmer wrote:Bjork, that would be Raymond Way. He would definitely have had a badge, and it would be a good one ! He was a larger than life character, former racing driver, practically invented high pressure advertising and was successful in cars and bikes. Well worth reading up on him. Somebody somewhere should have a badge that could be copied.
Deeprose is a name I know a little better than I should for a place I don't think I went to. Streamline motors in Dulwich was about as far as I went in that direction. I can only think the connection would be racing, I have an inkling they sponsored one of the quick Ariel arrow boys. Maybe Mike O'rourke. Maybe one of the other ex-Londoners will know.
Thank you Stan, that is all good news and interesting! I will definitely read up on him.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
bjork

Post by bjork »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
bjork wrote:According to the dating certificate, my 1960 bike was despatched to a dealer called 'Way of London' NW6. Does anyone know anything about them? I'd love to be able to get or copy a dealer sticker or badge, if they ever had one?
http://dealerdecals.co.uk/
Raymond Way (462x640).jpg
Interesting biography of him, his business, racing, fortunes and his wives here:

http://kilburnwesthampstead.blogspot.co ... d-way.html
Oh Nice work Spriddler! I was trawling that website the other night but missed his sticker. Must have been blinded by the other Leicester names I was meant to be looking for. I took my AJS out today and it would only do 80 mph, so an authentic dealer sticker is obviously what it needs. Sounds like Mr Way was busy man and I think I'm going to like him. I'm off to the library then ;)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today