Fork Wed Repair

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rosy

Fork Wed Repair

Post by Rosy »

photo.JPG
I'm building a spare pair of forks from all the parts I collected from my rebuild. One of the fork slider needs a repair to the Mudguard/brake anchor thread lug. I'v contacted several welders that can do this repair, but are doubtful because of the age and the type of alloy. Has anyone had this repair done successfully? and are there any problems I can tell the welder? It's a very small break a few blobs of weld would cover it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pkr87

Re: Fork Wed Repair

Post by pkr87 »

Welding old aluminium can be difficult as the material deteriorates and gets dirty, also welding can cause distortion. It might not be very pretty but I would be tempted to make a small bracket wrapped around the fork leg to support the mudguard.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Out of interest how would this be welded?

Machine the broken surface back down to sound metal, steel bolt inserted in thread and then fresh ali built up around the bolt until proud of finished profile and finally re-profiled with hand and/or machine tools maybe?

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Alan's response above is how I too would approach this task, however as you say this is on the leg that anchors the brake torque arm I wouldn't repair it - the other side that only holds the mudguard no problem, but not the brake side.

Regards Mick
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

As the legs are identical, why not simply swap them round so good one is on brake anchor side? You may be able to build up broken boss with JB weld or similar, as it is not too critical for holding mudguard, and good side can do most of work in holding all together. Welding, however, would be better and look better. Andy
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Andy51 wrote:As the legs are identical, why not simply swap them round so good one is on brake anchor side? You may be able to build up broken boss with JB weld or similar, as it is not too critical for holding mudguard, and good side can do most of work in holding all together. Welding, however, would be better and look better. Andy
Aren't the drain plugs handed? Just a thought, unless I'm mistaken :)
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The drain plugs aren't but according to his profile it's a '56 G9 so the bottom lugs are handed.
Dave.
DM2

Post by DM2 »

They seem to weld ok, I have repaired two for myself.

Cleaned up, drilled and tapped new thread ok as well.
clive

Post by clive »

That's a better repair than was done on one of my forks when I purchased the bike, same lug. The welding is good and has lasted 35 years (so far!) just not as pretty.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Rob,
I had a similar repair by Mike Davies worth a call he's very reasonable.
I had Hamlyns in Bridgwater cut a new thread in for me afterwards👍

https://www.yell.com/biz/m-j-d-welding-yeovil-103481/
Mike