How to make some Money!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
thornebt

How to make some Money!

Post by thornebt »

I was reading my Old Bike Mart today and I saw the article on how to professionally solder nipples to cables. Out of interest I looked on Ebay for a birdcaging tool - I was just curious, I don't want to buy one. Anyway, they are about £100!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Venhill-cabl ... Sw-olaKwfX

I was thinking that I've seen lots of impressive engineering achieved by members of this forum over the years and that one of you skilled engineers could produce these as a nice little money making business. Maybe sell them via the Spares Scheme as well? Of course I haven't got a clue on what it would take in terms of materials, time or tools to make these.

Cheers. Bruce.
56G80S

Re: How to make some Money!

Post by 56G80S »

There was a thread about this, I think it was Groilly that did it. Personally, I use a very refined method for achieving the same result.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

thornebt wrote:I don't want to buy one. Anyway, they are about £100!
And there's the ever-present conundrum with so much of our bike stuff:

Low demand = small volume production = high manufacturing cost = unattractive retail price = low demand = small volume production = high manufacturing cost = unattractive retail price ...............

There is a great deal of professional design and manufacturing skill among the membership but many are retired and just don't want the hassle. Sharing skills by doing a few jobs for chums is fine but not as a money-making commitment.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

Here is some photos of my homemade bird cage tool, not so professional but usefull
Poul
20200704_164459_1.jpg
20200704_164337_1.jpg
20200704_164318_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

one more
20200704_165419_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

My son bought me the Venhill bird cage tool for a significant birthday and I can confirm it is both easy to use, and produces excellent results, if I can do it........

If anyone near Surrey/Sussex wants to use it, PM me.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

You didn't state the hire charge Peter!