Burlen 6v Battery Charging

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Mick D

Re: Burlen 6v Battery Charging

Post by Mick D »

Hi Bruce

Remove the battery and charge it for around 12 hours - measure the voltage after removing the charger leads.

Measure the voltage again after 24 hours, it should not be significantly different from the previous reading.

If it has fallen much leave for another 24 hours and see if the decline continues, if it does the battery is toast.

If it doesn't you need to investigate the wiring on the bike and, as you suspect, it may be the rectifier at fault, but not necessarily so.

Regards Mick
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

just picked up on this and not necessarily about batteries, however I have an accumate 6/12, few yrs old I guess but it has always been my 'go to' charger for an unused or old battery, I have other cheaper ones which do the job but won't retrieve old batteries as well. however I found recently, although it showed 'on' it wouldn't charge, I have now noticed no 'on' light illuminates.
I have contacted the distributor who suggests the transformer is toast and will replace the complete unit at a discount of 25% plus £5 postage amounts to about £48. I am wondering if it is sensible to get another in view of the demise of this or just stay with the cheaper 'lidl'/'aldi' products or perhaps seek an alternative?
kind regards
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Might be nothing to do with your problem, but I also have a ‘smart' battery charger on my camper van. It won't charge a completely flat battery, less than 0.2 volts I believe, as it regards it as useless. There is a position on the selector that is supposed to help, but I had no success with that either. But if you connect another battery (doesn't matter how big) in parallel the charger is fooled into thinking a good battery is in place. After about twenty minutes I remove the slave battery and the charger carries on doing its work. I am not sure whether this is because the main battery has achieved 0.2 volts or it is only a start check: once it passes that step it continues it's clever charging. My leisure battery is now eight years old and has been recovered this way a few times over the years.
Stan