E-bay charges for buyers outside UK

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Stan Palmer

Re: E-bay charges for buyers outside UK

Post by Stan Palmer »

Tank from India: It's a sad tale. It's a Triumph tank. When it arrived I noticed it wasn't exactly the same as advertised. But it looked ok, except it was in primer outside and inside, I had ordered raw in case leaks had to be sealed. Did the basics like checking the fixing centres, badge fit, tap holes, knee grips. All threads are metric, I guess all the pattern ones are. I sat it on the bike, put the seat on, it seemed to fit ok. They supplied a raw parcel rack as those fixings were miles out. The rack itself was very poor. I re brazed that while waiting for other things.
Earlier google searches had shown that leaks are a serious issue on Indian tanks. So my first move was to get all the paint off inside and out to make a leak test meaningfull. The inside paint mostly washed out with ethanol petrol.
Proceeded with the leak test at 3 psi in the bath. There were no leaks.
During the process of sealing it up I noticed that the filler neck was too short, the cap grounded on the tank top.
Put the tank back on the bike, this time turned the steering. I know I should have tried it first. Anyway, the nacelle hit the tank both sides while still a 1/4” clear of the lock stops. Also noticed something catching underneath, it was extremely close to the head steady bolts, there should be small cut-outs. Back to the picture on eBay, sure enough on the original advert the cut outs are there.
I am in contact with the vendor, he initially claimed it wasn't the tank he supplied ! Although I had told him the primer had been removed. I have sent several emails and pictures, but to be honest I knew I was taking a chance and am not going to worry over it. I am £200 in including £31 VAT, which is ludicrously cheap and I guess I got what I asked for. I had the chance to send it back before I worked on it. The only thing that niggles me is that it wasn't the tank he advertised, and would the other one have been OK ?
Stan
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

"always scroll down to see the sellers address."

Dudley's spot on. I've had significant problems with Ebay buyers recently. They just don't seem able to read regarding "cash on collection, no postage".

Johnny B
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

I had a series of sales on eBay a few years ago. It only stopped when PayPal tried to keep all the money because the account was in my deceased wife's name. I had been using it to BUY for 18 years. Anyway, it took nine months to sort it and then I had another go just before lockdown. I found it very much harder to handle. All sorts of features (that I didn't want) were defaulting ON. I guess I'll have to start selling again once things have settled, but I wish it didn't have to be eBay.
Stan
clive

Post by clive »

Stan it does not have to be ebay if it is AMC parts as you can advertise for free on the website and in the club magazine. No fees either.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix