E-bay charges for buyers outside UK

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Andy51

E-bay charges for buyers outside UK

Post by Andy51 »

Hi,I have just sold some small parts to a buyer outside the UK. He used the e-bay GS
P for postage, and I was horrified to see their charges. The Royal Mail cost would have been £10 2nd class, but the e-bay service charged twice this and added hefty import duties on top. Non-UK members, message your sellers re postage and think carefully before using e-bay's services.
39speedtwin

Re: E-bay charges for buyers outside UK

Post by 39speedtwin »

I never use EBay's postal services, either Royal Mail or if valuable and going overseas UPS who haven't failed yet, last week 2 days to Germany with UPS.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

39speedtwin wrote:I never use EBay's postal services, either Royal Mail or if valuable and going overseas UPS who haven't failed yet, last week 2 days to Germany with UPS.
Is that fully tracked?
Roy
raffles

Post by raffles »

Traveling on the cheap I can understand but Dudley IN A PARCEL!
how was Germany
Tony
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

I'm sure that Ebay will only use a tracked or signed for service for their global shipping programme. This is what puts the cost up significantly. They also have the cost of running their global shipping centres. Before the Ebay service I used to send quite a few Ebay items abroad and it became very tiresome when someone would order something of a higher value only for it to go missing in the post and Ebay would expect me to reimburse the total cost. The worst country for items getting lost was Italy. I did use the Global Shipping Programme when it was introduced and it was nice to know that I just needed to pay the UK postage to their shipping centre and they would take responsibility for the onward journey. I gave up using the service a few months ago when I sold an item and they inexplicably required me to send the item abroad myself. I'm not sure why this happened - maybe it was some sort of system glitch. So I stopped using it and only send to the UK now. Cheers. Bruce.
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

I've just bought some parts from India "free postage" according to the seller, then got demands from a shipping company fo shipping, taxes, duties, and handling. I complained and kicked up a fuss to the seller who refunded the shipping, but the rest I had to pay I still haven't had my items yet. Aramex shipping try not to deal with them, very allusive. I've paid custom charge from the states in the past, but never from India before.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

UPS is fully tracked, the parcel to Germany was delivered at 9.38am on the Wednesday.
No Tony I was not in the parcel!
I have never used the EBay Global Shipping Programme, as the cost to the buyer is unknown, charges such as Customs duty are sometimes included when they are not due.
Before lockdown I sent 2 PA speedometers to Australia cost £60 with an insured value of £1,100 with UPS, sent on a Monday arrived on the Thursday morning.
When buying on EBay I never buy if the seller is in China or India, even if the goods are said to be shipped from the U.K., always scroll down to see the sellers address.
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Been caught a couple of times recently where seller has stipulated return postage by buyer. It gives them cart Blanche to send items completely wrong, knowing that single item return cost is prohibitive. Most recent was some 1/2” tubing, vendor sent 12mm. Item cost was under a fiver with free postage, return cost £3.50. So it went into stock and put down to experience. Also licking my wounds over an Indian petrol tank (you are right Dudley but for some things there are no alternatives). I have abandoned it after doing various work which probably means it's invalid for return, in any case it's buyer to pay return costs. Don't fancy sending good money after bad.
Maybe there is something of the Lemming about me, but to keep things going I think we just have to be as careful as we can while accepting there is risk in buying from eBay.
Stan
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

The default setting when selling is to offer the Global Shipping Programme.

I always make sure I untick the box for this when listing items.
ray.woolford

Post by ray.woolford »

What was wrong with tank from India?