6V LEDs

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Rosy

6V LEDs

Post by Rosy »

I've just fitted Paul Goff's 6V LEDs special offer pack and I can't believe the brightness, I ordered two extra pilot bulbs to fit the torpedo lights, I'm just amazed, ok it's a white light not a dingy orange if you are a purist but being seen is more important.

Also if your are looking to replace the torpedo light lens these fit, PART No. 92103 from Hitchcocks at £1.44 each, they are plastic and let more light through, again not for the purist.
chappers1962

Re: 6V LEDs

Post by chappers1962 »

Rosy wrote:I've just fitted Paul Goff's 6V LEDs special offer pack and I can't believe the brightness, I ordered two extra pilot bulbs to fit the torpedo lights, I'm just amazed, ok it's a white light not a dingy orange if you are a purist but being seen is more important.

Also if your are looking to replace the torpedo light lens these fit, PART No. 92103 from Hitchcocks at £1.44 each, they are plastic and let more light through, again not for the purist.
I also replaced all bulbs on my G3LS with LEDs from Paul Goff and very pleased with the results. The brightness, draw on power and reliability are by far better than the tradition bulbs.

Sure the purists won't like them, but I ride the bike nearly every day and the extra brightness helps me to be seen on these crowded British roads and therefore help to keep me and the bike in one piece.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

I've tried 3 different headlamp led's all very bright but none of the beam patterns are wonderful and main beam usually works by having both lots of led's on. They are only supposed to be fitted to matching reflectors other wise they are technically illegal! They also can backfeed if you have a high beam warning light keeping all beams on at once! A bit of a no win situation!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

What was wrong with the beam patterns Alan? I've got 2 LED headlamp bulbs in 2 bikes. One is the cheap Ebay Chinese H4 ones with the little fan on the front. This is very good, very bright, good beam and dip cut-off, but difficult to fit, it's negative earth, H4 fitting and 12volt only. It's been on there for a few years now. The other is from ClassicDynamo&RegulatorsConversionsLtd. This is a straight forward BPF fit with positive earth. Good beam and cut-off, not as bright, very good but 4 times the cost. I got their rear stop and tail LED as well. This is good but a very loose fit in the holder. I had to put 4 blobs of solder and file to fit. The terminals are to small, I had to solder those too. Nice and bright though.
I would go to Paul Goff but I don't like his after sales service (there isn't any!) if anything goes wrong.
Dave.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Got mine from dynamo regulator conversions. Flippin' brilliant. Use them on the Beast and the Cub (no battery, Boyer powerbox). I needed to fit a diode on the cub for the high beam but no big deal. It's nice to see where I'm going!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

I don't do diodes, Chris, can you tell me what I need in simple terms? As led headlamp lights are of solid construction the dip only tends to light half your reflector, when both top and bottom led's are on you can get a blind spot in the middle, Dave, Hope you can follow that!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I had a similar experience with the "Double Dipper" LED, a small hole in the beam. I also found that the pattern itself could've been better and the light, although bright, seemed not to provide the levelof depth perception that the tungsten or halogen did. Things may've moved on.

I'm currently using the halogen again (or would be if the Matchless was on the road). All my other lights are LEDs including the indicators and the rear light which is a very early Paul Goff one and probably needs rplacing as it shows very little light to the side and the tail light only bright directly behind. I'm going to move over to 12v over winter (cut the wire on the AOII reg and fit a better battery) and change the headlight unit to a Wipac Quadoptic with H4 LED in the hope that the beam will be better. I hope to be doing more distance work on the Matchless once next year comes (being positive) and the ease of replacement of 12 volt headlight bulbs, even if not LED at a push as 35/35w H4 are even on offer at Halfords! As I'm putting the Burman box in I'll be keeping the short dynamo and won't be able to move to a long dynamo but will overwinter 2021-22.

By the way, Paul Goff did respond to my emails and supplied a refund once.

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

alanjennings wrote:I don't do diodes, Chris, can you tell me what I need in simple terms? As led headlamp lights are of solid construction the dip only tends to light half your reflector, when both top and bottom led's are on you can get a blind spot in the middle, Dave, Hope you can follow that!
http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... s-shop.php

Go down to High Beam Light Fix Kit

I have a Lucas repro MU42 headlight on the beam and I get full use of the reflector. It could be the product itself. Mine was perfect at the Manx Grand Prix last year. Our digs were out on the old course outside of Peel. Pitch black and the headlight lit up the sky like Standard Fireworks. This guy sells top totty LED's.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I notice he now says excellent beam pattern with no black hole. Seem to be mostly out of stock at the moment.
Dave.
spookefoote1956

dave16mct wrote:I notice he now says excellent beam pattern with no black hole. Seem to be mostly out of stock at the moment.
Dave.
Which one Dave?