Matchless G80S vs Yamaha XJ600S

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Matchless G80S vs Yamaha XJ600S

Post by 56G80S »

Did a bit short of 400 miles over a couple of days as I popped over to Newton Stewart to tidy up the house and do a few jobs before taking Linda over at the end of the month (safe to say on public forum, the 6'4" eldest gorilla, oooppps son will be at home).

It went nicely and the Givi equipment works well. The XJ fairing is neither use nor ornament, just makes noise whereas the G80S Avon one does a job. The XJ seat is actually less comfortable than the G80S (thanks Ian). The XJ handlebars could be a little higher versus the perfect G80S (tried risers but didn't like them). The XJ has a roughness around 4,000 rpm, particularly on deceleration but the websites say "they all do that, sir" and some riders changed their sprockets to move the roughness to a different rpm point but it's really irritating. The XJ had me riding like I used to when I was in my 20's, not a good thing. I corner with more confidence on the Matchless but then it's got relatively new Avons as opposed to ample tread but old Battlax's, so that's my fault. XJ 6 gears an irritation.

Having said that, I do like the XJ. Lots of fun. Glad I didn't get something bigger.

Johnny B
alanjennings

Re: Matchless G80S vs Yamaha XJ600S

Post by alanjennings »

Might see you on our way to Shetland in August, John - 2 of my grandsons are 6 ft 4 also! But I enjoy the 6 speeds on my 250 morini they are perfectly spaced!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Re: Matchless G80S vs Yamaha XJ600S

Post by 56G80S »

Cheers Alan, hope we can meet. PM me your route and I'll pop East to the M74 if you are coming that way, unless you fancy a detour into South West Scotland.

Johnny B