AFS G3L 1953

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Re: AFS G3L 1953

Post by SPRIDDLER »

(I've deleted my gibberish reply ref the reg'n and frame numbers on an MOT cert as your bike isn't on the DVLA records. :oops: )

Just for interest, if you duplicate a post you can remove it by using the cross 'button' at top right which is the delete function. (I'm not sure for how long this delete option lasts). Obviously you need to have logged in.
Delete.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 7 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

There used to be a lot more information in the AFS Register. Lists of the bikes with the different numbers and where they were, Holland etc.
Dave.
greeneunos

Post by greeneunos »

Hi Thanks for all the replys , i am learning as i go along with this forum , so i am sorry if i was not up to speed but i'm getting there .
I appreciate the probability that with the records being destroyed by the local licencing office etc etc etc there will be an extremely difficult task to find the information to get swansea to give my bike its original number back but as the say , if you don't try you don't get , i am at present trawling through the national archive to see if any records exist from the civil defence (home office records ) for supply , as i have the contract number , i can appreciate that this story may be not about nuts and bolts ( being a motor engineer for 40 years ) i know all about that and i have several old bikes as well as new ones , but its about the history , and the bike deserves its old number back ( and will get it )so sorry if it seems to be a lost cause to some people , but if it gives hope to others that are in the same boat happy days , regards mike
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

greeneunos wrote:Hi Thanks for all the replys , i am learning as i go along with this forum , so i am sorry if i was not up to speed but i'm getting there .
Relax Mike, comments are intended as help, not criticism, plus an occasional bit of banter ;)
I appreciate the probability that with the records being destroyed by the local licencing office etc etc etc there will be an extremely difficult task to find the information to get swansea to give my bike its original number back but as the say , if you don't try you don't get ,
It's worth a try as you say.
This month's Jampot magazine features Oli, a guy in our section who dragged his granddad's G80 out of his mum's shed where it had lain untouched for 40 years. The old logbook was lost and he didn't have any document linking the reg'n to the frame number and was refused by the DVLA. Whilst restoring it he tenaciously compiled a dossier of documents, including family photos (and birth certificates!) showing that it had been in his family since new and appealed the refusal. Eventually they granted the reg'n number for the bike, so it is possible.
I can appreciate that this story may be not about nuts and bolts.....
The charm of our old bikes is that they are more than just nuts and bolts but history, tales of trips, dealers, rallies, anecdotes, etc. etc. and it's all interesting reading.
:beer:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
greeneunos

Post by greeneunos »

Hi just like to say a big thank you to rob who has posted the link for the original copies of Jampot , I've only just started looking through them but what an insight not only into the matchless but a snapshot of social history from the early fifties , brilliant I recommend the read to anyone whether or not I find more info on my bike LYO847 they have started to be an enjoyable read
Thanks again rob harknett
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

greeneunos wrote:Hi just like to say a big thank you to rob who has posted the link for the original copies of Jampot , I've only just started looking through them but what an insight not only into the matchless but a snapshot of social history from the early fifties , brilliant I recommend the read to anyone whether or not I find more info on my bike LYO847 they have started to be an enjoyable read
Thanks again rob harknett
Nice to hear all my work scanning the old magazines was worthwhile. Please let us know if you find any long lost AFS bike history.
greeneunos

Post by greeneunos »

Hi
Update
I have this evening been sent a copy of a letter sent as a reply to an inquiry in 1999 about 3 AFS bikes including mine LYO 847 by the DVLA , it states on the record that they have my bike still on their database in 1999 and the letter also stated the frame and engine numbers ,all on the same letter!!! fantastic , the evidence ( hopefully ) I need from the DVLA themselves ,which I can send to the DVLA .
I have to thanks Nigel tipping and rob human for taking the trouble to put me in touch with les human who is I now know as the font of all knowledge on AFS bikes with His research over many many years anything AFS you name it , he was fantastic with his help and what a gent thanks again les Human
Regards mike
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

greeneunos wrote:Hi
Update
I have this evening been sent a copy of a letter sent as a reply to an inquiry in 1999 about 3 AFS bikes including mine LYO 847 by the DVLA , it states on the record that they have my bike still on their database in 1999 and the letter also stated the frame and engine numbers ,all on the same letter!!! fantastic , the evidence ( hopefully ) I need from the DVLA themselves ,which I can send to the DVLA .
I have to thanks Nigel tipping and rob human for taking the trouble to put me in touch with les human who is I now know as the font of all knowledge on AFS bikes with His research over many many years anything AFS you name it , he was fantastic with his help and what a gent thanks again les Human
Regards mike

Good news! Fingers crossed. Please keep us updated.

Andy