A proper bodge today

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

A proper bodge today

Post by Plugsnpoints »

It seems every time I go out on it something breaks! Last week it was the speedo cable incorrectly routed so it snapped, then it stuck at 40mph! I rerouted that with a sweeping smooth bend. Today it was the brake cable's turn. This nipple disintegrated at the hub end just as I was parking it this afternoon. I felt someone was looking over me, as it could've been so much worse!

A fortnight ago I was told my clutch fix was a piece of ingenuity. Today it really was a get me home bodge! I took a gentle ride home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Plugsnpoints on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
electrajohnt

Re: A proper bodge today

Post by electrajohnt »

Suppose it one up from a lollipop stick against the spokes. Someone's always got to go one better.
JohnT
JohnT
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Was this a small nipple that fits inside a barrel nipple? if so this has been reported before, I would be concerned over a possible manufacturing quality issue.

Regards Mick
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Was this a small nipple that fits inside a barrel nipple? if so this has been reported before, I would be concerned over a possible manufacturing quality issue.

Regards Mick
Hi Mick, it was the fat end of the pear nipple that sits in the brake clevis on the brake arm at the hub end that let go. That's why I used the Mole grips clamped on the remainder of the nipple. It doesn't look like the solder had fully taken on the entire nipple.

Joking aside it I feel very lucky finding out this way. I guess it's the joys of owning a used motorcycle not knowing the history of it. Lucky I had the right bodging tie wraps and moles in the tool box

I'll order a new complete cable tomorrow if I don't have a spare.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Regards Mick
You have to remember, the cables are older than you think. They may oxidise through lack of use.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

When I used to take my bikes for MOT I winced but was quite happy when the gorilla of a tester squeezed the front brake lever with all his strength. He said he'd had more than one customer give him hell for 'breaking the cable' when a nipple gave way. :roll:
Plugsnpoints wrote: I'll order a new complete cable tomorrow if I don't have a spare.
If you haven't a spare order two cables and fit the spare alongside the new one in use. It'll be no help having a spare languishing in the shed ;) (But you may have discovered that already).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

SPRIDDLER wrote:When I used to take my bikes for MOT I winced but was quite happy when the gorilla of a tester squeezed the front brake lever with all his strength. He said he'd had more than one customer give him hell for 'breaking the cable' when a nipple gave way. :roll:
in the late 60s a Police officer pulled on my front brake and broke the cable. When I complained he pointed out the box spanner rammed on the lever which had broken during a previous "incident". I argued that it was the same length as the original and so would give no more leverage to which he replied "well you are lucky it happened when you were stationary." However he gave me an address to write to and with a receipt for the replacement they refunded me!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Here's a link to a previous thread:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... le+failure

As I make all of my own cables I never use this type of nipple, preferring to solder the core directly to the barrel nipple.

Regards Mick
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I also make my own and silver solder them.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Post by Plugsnpoints »

spookefoote1956 wrote:I also make my own and silver solder them.
I have a selection of nipples here, so will probably repair the old one for a spare.

It's funny how little things cheer you up isn't it? Last night I found a shiny new one I'd bought for the single. I'll hang it up, lubricate it and fit it shortly. Maybe I should start to carry spares but I'd end up like a mobile autojumble!

I did have a moment thinking about the cable letting go as I parked the bike against the kerb.

I'm a gentle rider these days, but had a flashback to the ITU yesterday...