G12 CSR clutch friction plates

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Ever since I replaced the friction plates on my CSR ( purchased from Russell Motors ) the clutch has dragged and been very difficult to free on starting.
Even after cleaning then they were just as bad.

Now I have replaced them with the originals ( cleaned ) and the problem has gone.
Are all the Russell motors clutch friction plates this bad ?
They are the bonded type.

silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

Hi Peter,

I can't advise about Russels plates but generally i find that the oil used is critical and I only use a straight 30 oil. 20-50 or thicker grades lead to drag in the clutch.

I think that a little running-in might help as well.

Les Smith
Keep smiling
Kieran Enright.

Post by Kieran Enright. »

Hallo Peter,

just a thought; did you check the thickness of the new plates as compared to the old ones? It may be that, with general wear and tear on the release mechanism, that even pulling the clutch lever in fully can't lift the pressure plate as much as it used to, so the new (standard thickness) plates are still in contact.

Another possibility is (though it shouldn't happen with new plates), were one or more of the new plates warped?

Hope this helps,

Kes Enright
Lars E

Post by Lars E »

I have a Cheney/BSA B50 moto cross bike and when I changed frictionplates from original old ones to new kevlar frictionplates it solved the problem with clutchslip but instead the clutch sticks. Maybe the material in your plates are diffrent from the old ones.
Ian Stack.

Post by Ian Stack. »

just thought that I could verify the fact that I tend to agree that yes new linings are always thicker & obviously the problem is lack of travel in the clutch release mechanism.I have fitted new bonded linings in my 350 G3LS & after spending time trying to adjust it correctly it still tended to slightly stick,which was more annoying than anything.I proved my point by expermenting with a small (packer) under my clutch lever to aid travel & had instant success.With a bit more bedding down it now works perfectly using only normal adjustment procedure. Happy riding!
27col

Post by 27col »

I had completely stuck clutch plates on my 1960 AJS 31. No amount of cleaning made any difference. I am sure that they were from Russell's. I replaced them with a set from AMOC and the problem went away.