new dynamo

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Glynny

new dynamo

Post by Glynny »

hi anyone had any experience with these dynamos listed on ebay item number #184270756101 i do have a dynamo as seen in previous post but i need to rebuild it with various new parts to convert into the correct one wich is looking extremely expensive and not sure if the regulator can be salvaged either so this may be a cheaper option
Last edited by Glynny on Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groily

Re: new dynamo

Post by Groily »

Can't believe it would cost as much as £440 (and does that include a regulator? A quick glance didn't tell me) to get a Lucas E3N or to have yours reconfigured, even with a decent solid state regulator if needed.
No idea how good these e-bay ones are - but 12v, which means bulbs, battery etc etc (some say horn too, although that's debatable) if you are at 6v and have those parts already, and if a regulator is not included, you're looking at five hundred quid or best part of, plus those items. That is 'a heck of a lot'!

What do you consider as 'extremely expensive' regarding the one you've got? What quotations / options have folk come up with for you? Are you up for DIY or looking for someone to produce a 'fit and forget' unit? (Not that they ever really are!)

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be having to look at that sort of money to get a working result . . . .
Glynny

Post by Glynny »

Well looking at the lucas dynamo catalogues i need to change everything other than the outer casing what holds the field winding as its the dynamo that fits onto the magneto so armature and both ends are incorrect
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It looks very much like the Alton (100W) alternator (singles and twins) for the same price, 435 Euros.
The regulator is another 55 Euros.

https://www.alton-france.com/product-ca ... enerators/

https://www.alton-france.com/product/alton-acg07/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Armoto say that a reconditioned dynamo cost £250
http://www.vehicle-electrical-rewinds.c ... namos.html

E3L Dynamo Recondition
We will replace the armature, field coils, bearings, brushes, and any damaged end-shields. The dynamo body will be burned out, shot blasted and electroplated.

Using modern winding methods and class F and H insulations, your E3L dynamo be will restored to a higher specification than the original.

£250 (plus VAT) and a three year guarantee.

Ive not used them , but just a quick google search
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I''s got to be cheaper to source a suitable used dynamo and have it refurbished.

Altons are permanent magnet generators and as such noisy at low revs and can go on to damage sprockets and chains. Do you really need the excess power?

Regards Mick
Glynny

Post by Glynny »

Ive been looking for a second hand correct one but no joy as yet
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

If you have the correct one then the club do a PX for a refurbished one but you will need to check stock.
Roy
Glynny

Post by Glynny »

I dont have the correct one so exchange is not an option check my other post if i can source the parts i am quite capable of rebuilding it but i need to make sure i get the correct bits so will trawl through the lucas parts manuals this weekend there is a second hand miller dynamo on ebay wondering if thats an option
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

There's a new drive end plate here: :?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LUCAS-E3 ... SwFEheMBb9
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'