new dynamo

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Glynny

Re: new dynamo

Post by Glynny »

going to need a new cover assembly part no 200876 looks like theres no fixtures when you buy it are these available or can i remove them from my other incorrect cover
Glynny

Post by Glynny »

20201122_092957_compress21.jpg
Hi just rebuilt my dynamo with all the parts needed thanks for letting me know about andrew at priory dynamos its now working as it shouls and is ready to go back on bike anyone let me know what i need to lock the sprocket nut in place and how it locks on see pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Glynny wrote:....anyone let me know what i need to lock the sprocket nut in place and how it locks on see pics
I don't know the year of yours without trawling through your posts (nothing on your Profile).
It's all in the Spares List........but here are the parts, available from club spares:
2018-01-24 Dynamo nut, washer, circlip 001.JPG
I think (possible brain fade this morning) the sprocket should have slots to receive the ears of the lock washer. Are you sure your pic isn't of the mag sprocket?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Glynny

Post by Glynny »

Its the only one i have spocket that is . The bike is a 1953 G3Ls wirth dynamo E3NL0 its the sprocket what was on when i stripped the bike it has 17 teeth and was spinning fine any ideas where i can buy the correct sprocket and how many teeth should it have
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Glynny wrote:........ any ideas where i can buy the correct sprocket and how many teeth should it have
Not difficult, Derek. Get the part number (000725) from the spares list for your bike then look at club spares.

Here's your Spares List:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf

and here's the sprocket at club spares:

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=20844
Glynny

Post by Glynny »

Unfortunately they have none in stock i looked before
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Have you tried Russell Motors or AMC Classic Spares.....?

(When posting it would help to know where you've already tried). ;)
Glynny

Post by Glynny »

Just been trawling the internet have emailed russells motors see if they have one and there is a second hand one in austria for approx 30 quid plus postage no joy at AMC so fingers crossed russel motors can help as i cant finish putting everything together until i find a sprocket
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Dont forget the Woodruff key. Personally I would cut a keyway in that sprocket and use it (assuming that the taper is correct). A nut can always be secured with loctite unless you can cut the slot in the face of the sprocket to use the 'proper' locking nut/washer. Sometimes its not possible to have every part available off the shelf and you just have to get stuck in and do some real mechanic-ing ;)

Steve
clive

Post by clive »

you are going to need the correct sprocket as suggested as the one you are showing is a mag sprocket. You can get away with using one if you are unsuccessful in tracking a dynamo sprocket down. The difficulty is you will not be able to use the locking washer and special nut. This makes tightening the nut you use more difficult but it is possible with the chain in place and the sprocket tapped to make it bind on the shaft. The mag sprocket will not be as deep as the original dynamo sprocket so the dynamo will need to move across more than usual to get the chain lined up correctly. This means you may not be able to use the dynamo centering strip. I have used a mag sprocket without the locking washer and just locktite on the nut holding it to an early Alton alternator for about 30 years. (the early Altons were not made for AMC singles and were longer and needed a smaller sprocket to fit properly with a CP box).

If you can find the original dynamo sprocket however its an advantage as not only is it slotted to take the locking washer, but it has a slot for woodruff key and at the back it has two flats to allow a special tool (thin spanner) to be used between the inner chaincase and dynamo to hold the sprocket as the nut is tightened. The photo of your repaired dynamo does not show the woodruff key slot. If it does not have one and without the woodruff key the locking device is not going to work. Having said that I have never taken a dynamo sprocket off which has not required a puller because it is firmly stuck on the taper.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix