new dynamo

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Glynny

Re: new dynamo

Post by Glynny »

It does have a slot for the key i shall see if russel motors get back to me if no go i shall rethink
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Could be a sprocket from something else.

Just a tip in case you are unaware: Les, the owner of Russells and the only spares person is in his 70's and now only opens the business limited days and hours. He's not too fussed about messages left on his phone and the only other method is to fax him so your best bet to get info is to get him on the phone (he doesn't do email).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Glynny

Post by Glynny »

Ok i shall try and call tomorrow thanks for the info
clive

Post by clive »

not sure Les opens on a monday. if you do get hold of him and he has the dynamo sprocket ask him if he has the special spanner for it too. The other end of it is machined to allow easy tightening of the clutch spring nuts.

oh and Spriddlers very good photo does not show the flat washer you will need to fit behind the special nut or it will not sit proud enough for the lock ring to fit. The washer is 000010 but its nothing special and you will probably have one which will do the job.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote:..not sure Les opens on a Monday. if you do get hold of him and he has the dynamo sprocket ask him about the special spanner for it too. The other end of it is machined to allow easy tightening of the clutch spring nuts.
Smack your wrist, Mr Adverts Editor. (Even though you edit the 'Classifieds', not the club spares ads).
Now available from club spares according to the ad on page 3 in the October Jampot mag,

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=23560
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

:oops:
clive
Glynny

Post by Glynny »

While im trying to source the correct sprocket i have lashed up the incorrect one to test the dynamo and charging to battery dynamo needed repolatising as was putting out negative voltage now sorted and dynamo is giving up to 14v output when engine running . So next is the regulator how do you know if its working in idiot terms as im good at mechanical not so hot on electrical theory and what can i do to set it up correctly . Ive seen articles on the subject but are over my head im afraid needs to be basic
clive

Post by clive »

Basic? Buy an electronic regulator. Its already set up.
clive
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

clive wrote:Basic? Buy an electronic regulator. Its already set up.
Absolutely. And without wishing to incur the wrath of the Adverts Police :lol: , make it a DVR2 ......

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Several people have recommended you get the correct sprocket; they are right for several reasons. This sprocket was produced because the dyno puts a pulsing load on the sprocket due to the armature rotating in a magnetic field, which gets stronger as the load increases due to headlights, etc. Before modern threadlocking compounds this varying load could literally shake the sprocket loose, hence the lock washer and circlip. The woodruff key helped in this by stopping any rotation of the sprocket on its taper. At the same time, it allowed a lower torque to be used on the nut securing the sprocket as tightening to a high torque risks bending the armature shaft. Incidentally no figure was ever given to my knowledge. Lower torque also makes the sprocket easier to remove. The magneto loading is less and a key would make timing adjustment almost impossible. It is unlikely you could cut a keyway in a mag sprocket as they are hardened and annealing it risks distortion, and you would need access to some pretty sophisticated machinery to do it. Given the usage and mileage of our bikes these days, a hardened sprocket is probably unnecessary. To sum up, try for the right sprocket but you can get away without it for the time being, but tightening the securing nut with the wrong sprocket needs care to avoid bending the armature shaft. Hope this helps, Andy