Tonight ITV 4 Henry Cole gets a peek at the new AJS's

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
alanjennings

Re: Tonight ITV 4 Henry Cole gets a peek at the new AJS's

Post by alanjennings »

Well I am pleased with my new Tempest so far! Extended the mirrors, moved the rear footrests a bit etc. Got some small " throwovers" and just need somewhere to go! Nobody makes complete bikes in Britain, anyway, they are all a selection of " bits" from all over the world!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Ive seen your Mutchless at the Jampot in Norfolk, Sprids,and I liked it and the tongue in cheek badge - it was not pretending to be something it isnt and that was fine. I once had a Panther that I badged up as a Halfly-Davidson.
I would find the chinese bikes more acceptable if they were badged as what they actually were. That way people would not be misled by a cheap vinyl sticker which infers some suggestion of a product with a century of history behind it.
I appreciate that my views are not held by everyone and Ive resisted getting involved, but Im a firm believer that once a great marque has died, then that should be it. Theyll be telling us that MG, Brough, Ariel, Triumph and Norton are still around next :?

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

spookefoote1956 wrote:I take a can of 3 in 1 round with me when I go out on mine. When I stop I squirt a bit on the road under the engine to give it that look of originality. :rofl: :rofl:
At one of the Jampot rallies, Luky from Surrey section took great pride in showing folk her nearly brand new Bonneville. At the lunch stop we were all given cardboard mats to put under our bikes. I got back from the caff before Luky and just had to replace her spotless mat with the oil soaked one from under Thrifty Peter's P11. Her faced as she got nearer the bike was a picture, but she was not amused.
Greybeard wrote: I would find the chinese bikes more acceptable if they were badged as what they actually were. That way people would not be misled by a cheap vinyl sticker which infers some suggestion of a product with a century of history behind it.
Yes it does seem rather odd promoting a brand to today's target market of youngsters which would mean absolutely nothing to them.
P'raps there's a market for Harris Tweed hoodies?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Henry Cole would probably be first in line for a Harris Tweed hoodie! :rofl:

Iron Head
clive

Post by clive »

Greybeard wrote: I appreciate that my views are not held by everyone and Ive resisted getting involved, but Im a firm believer that once a great marque has died, then that should be it. Theyll be telling us that MG, Brough, Ariel, Triumph and Norton are still around next :?

Steve
I agree, its a real pity Matchless carried on with the AJS marque when it went bankrupt back in 1931.....
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm no fan of HC, his third party restorations and total lack of technical knowledge, but if the program raises awareness to motorcycling in general with a nod to classic bikes then I don't see a downside to it.

Personally, I watch it when my wife is out, to save her ears ;)

Regards Mick
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I'm no fan of HC, his third party restorations and total lack of technical knowledge, but if the program raises awareness to motorcycling in general with a nod to classic bikes then I don't see a downside to it.

Personally, I watch it when my wife is out, to save her ears ;)

Regards Mick
He's a bit like Steve Irwin. David Attenborough didn't like the way he went round doing things but he was creating a new audience so I've got to let him have that.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

I'm puzzled as to why there's so much animosity shown towards Henry Cole. He's a presenter, he owns his own TV company that he uses to talk about and present motorcycling to a wide audience.

If Henry wasn't producing these programs who else is there?

I don't see a rash of TV programs discussing and presenting motorcycling (I'm ignoring the US based programs about building choppers etc.) to the UK public. If there were a dozen similar programs then I could understand people having a preference, but at present it would appear that some would prefer there to be no biking programs on TV rather than watch a presentation by Henry.
Corners like a Lego man
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

clive wrote:
I agree, its a real pity Matchless carried on with the AJS marque when it went bankrupt back in 1931.....
You're right, Clive, and don't forget Sunbeam either ;) though I suppose the Colliers did try to keep AJS seperate for a little while before resorting to blatant badge engineering. The big shame is that Matchless never did learn from any of them where to put the dynamo so that it could be maintained :headbang:

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Greybeard wrote:
clive wrote:
You're right, Clive, and don't forget Sunbeam either ;)
In that excellent read by Bert Hopwood; 'Whatever happened to the British motorcycle industry' he mentions that Sunbeam was bought purely for their expertise in stove enamelling. :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'