What could possibly go wrong............?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

What could possibly go wrong............?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I rode the Mutchless only 6 miles to its MOT lunchtime and had intended to have a decent run afterwards to make the most out of the palaver of reversing the bike down the slippery wooden shed ramp and as it was tipping with rain, struggling into my full wet weather riding kit (all one-armed), although by the time I left it was only drizzling. It passed but I came straight back home.
The fast'ish dual carriageway bit was heavy with traffic and very poor vis in the spray. I can't take my hand off the 'bars to wipe the outside of my visor and going slow in town it steamed up inside and I can't open it when under way. I took the lanes coming home but they were littered with puddles, bone-shaking potholes, gravel and mud. Not at all pleasant and glad to get home.
I've tried a couple of anti-rain and anti-mist fluids without any real success. The Rainex product seems to be the best of a mediocre lot.
Anyway, the ramp up to the shed rises about 2 feet so I usually negotiate it at some speed. The downside, as I once discovered when braking upon entering the shed is that the the strip of old carpet on the shed floor accompanies the bike until progress is halted by making substantial contact with the bench at the end. Bearing this in mind I began my approach rather too slowly and halfway up grip was lost on the wet ramp slimy with leaf juice.
Unfortunately I can't pick the bike up one-handed and I can barely stand up on the slippery ramp so it'll have to stay al fresco til I can get my son to come round.
I should've waited for him to do it in the first place, but hey........... "Nah, no prob. Don't be such a wimp. It'll be fine".

............or not :roll:
CIMG2046.JPG
CIMG2045 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Re: What could possibly go wrong............?

Post by 56G80S »

Sprid,

I remember the shed from when you helped me by swapping your headlight into the Matchless when I was en route to the the Celles sur Belle IJR (so much went adrift in that trip, particularly the weather).

At the risk of incurring your wrath, chicken wire is very cheap and stapled flat onto the ramp would provide a non slip surface.

Ironically, the access into the lock-up can get very slippery up here in North Yorks. Can't staple into concrete though. Last week I decided not to proceed, went inside and got a length of cardboard which gave me enough confidence to put the Yamaha away.

Will finally have the engine out of the Matchless this week end thanks to the new generator.

Engine will be going to Alpha.

Johnny B
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SPRIDDLER wrote: I've tried a couple of anti-rain and anti-mist fluids without any real success.
I hope it is only your pride that's hurt Neville.

I don't think you can beat a pin lock inner visor for anti-mist performance but not all helmets are designed for them.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

have you tried or seen this devise

SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote: At the risk of incurring your wrath, chicken wire is very cheap and stapled flat onto the ramp would provide a non slip surface.
I had chicken wire on the previous slatted ramp which rotted and which I had to replace after the front wheel broke through and stuck in a rotten board and I ended up in the runner beans.
Duncan wrote:I hope it is only your pride that's hurt Neville.

I don't think you can beat a pin lock inner visor for anti-mist performance but not all helmets are designed for them.
Yep, I'm O.K. thanks, just a bit of a zorst pipe burn on my calf. Squashed me fags though. :roll:

My posh (four hundred quid I think) Shoei helmet does have a pinlock visor but it doesn't seem to work very well in this mild and damp weather.
And my 18 months old 'Guaranteed waterproof' boots leaked. I've never had a pair of boots that didn't leak (except wellies).
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

i think you will find they are waterproof but keep the water in not out
ive got a pair the same so will be getting new ones for next year
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

g80csp11 wrote:have you tried or seen this devise

That looks a useful bit of kit. There's single wipe, intermittent or continuous operation and a remote handlebar button to save using the switch on the visor unit.
Their website doesn't give a price or how to order. :?

https://wipey.com/

P.S. Thanks Thrifty, for the offer to come round tonight and pick it up but I'll wait til my son can call as he's cheaper. ;)
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

im not sure it really exists here is a 1951 version, skip the add!

spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

This what you need?
TurboVisor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Bad luck, Neville! My pinlock is pretty good! Maybe a small screen might help? John b, it's freezing down here in Daventry, somehow you need a heater in that concrete fridge!
Alan [Morini] Jennings