What could possibly go wrong............?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here

Re: What could possibly go wrong............?

Post by 1608 »

g80csp11 wrote:im not sure it really exists here is a 1951 version, skip the add!

Like the idea Peter, but they'd probably end up hypnotizing me :rofl:
Gortex over-mitts ( ex army from e-bay ) are excelent, but must be tucked into jkt sleeve.
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

g80csp11 wrote:im not sure it really exists here is a 1951 version, skip the add!

Brilliant. A fine and elegant solution to a real wet weather riding problem.
If these were still made they would sell by the bucket load.

The faster you go, the quicker the wipers operate. :D

Heating elements in the glass could stop icing.

You have to admit this product does tick a lot of boxes.

Spriddler, More speed and a softer stop buffer may help.
Clearing a few leaves prior to getting the bike out may help.

In any event, go easy, the country roads are flipping lethal at the moment with wet slimy mud and fallen leaves being the norm around Cambs and Nothants. If in doubt, leave the bike alone, it will still be there in the better weather. Stay safe.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Spriddler,

Apart from crazy googgles and the like, why not invest in a proper ramp to your shed? Install some heavy pre-set concrete blocks each side of the ramp and fill up with gravel at a slope of 1:12 or less.
Your 2ft floor elevation will require a 24ft (about 7m) long ramp. If performed carefully the result will look quite nice and will not be very expensive. The ramp will probably receive approval of the Missus!
At this slope it will be convenient to push your bike up and down the ramp.

-Knut
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Triumph-Legend wrote: Spriddler, More speed and a softer stop buffer may help.
Clearing a few leaves prior to getting the bike out may help.
I've nailed the carpet to the shed floor now so it can't slide.
I'm working on a design for an arrestor wire but I will need to stop myself as well as the bike. :?
In any event, go easy, the country roads are flipping lethal at the moment with wet slimy mud and fallen leaves being the norm around Cambs and Nothants. If in doubt, leave the bike alone, it will still be there in the better weather. Stay safe.
Yep. It takes a quite a while and a lot of effort, twisting and wriggling just to get all my gear on one-handed. E.g. pulling up my textile trousers drags up my shirt and jumper which end up in a roll under my armpits :roll: Just occasionally when getting ready I get a wave of doubt about the wisdom of having a ride and abort the plan. Falling off in the garden doesn't do much for the confidence either. The actual riding is a doddle.
mdt-son wrote:Spriddler,

why not invest in a proper ramp to your shed?
You're right. It's mainly slippery only at this time of year with the wet and slimy leaf juice on the wooden slats which never dry out.
At this slope it will be convenient to push your bike up and down the ramp.
Ah, that's where the challenge arises. If I were to push the bike with a hand on only the left end of the 'bars it simply steers around in a circle so I have ride it into the shed at a reasonable speed because once the front wheel is on the ramp the front of the bike rises and I can't touch the ground with my feet. So you're right a more gentle gradient would help.
I have some chicken wire that I'll nail on the ramp with fencing staples for a short term fix. Most jobs in and around the shed require a bit of innovation and to use staples nails or screws I have to stick them in place on a lump of Blu-Tak first. Easy!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Sprid

I had the same problem before I got the lock-up. Two ramps were required as the Matchless needed to have the rear lifted round on the pavement to approach the first ramp straight on and covered the first, yard long stone step and the two following steps. The second of the two steps is also a yard long and is followed by a further step to get into the passage. Handlebars shortened by an inch either end just fitted through the doorway, no hope of powering through.
Eldest son to push and if momentum ceased in the wrong place couldn't touch the ramps.

There's me with help and two fully working arms and legs and struggling. You keep at it.

Johnny B
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

I have one of these Halfords universal jobs Nev, works very well.

It's similar to the Pinlock version but it's for visors with no pins.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/motor ... 52296.html
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I'm completely lost with this pinlock business. and followed Peter's link but no illustration of what it does.

More internet searching to do.

Johnny B
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

John, it's a form of double glazing, do keep up!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I only change them when I have to.

I head for the clearance bargains provided they're up to the required standard.

Johnny B
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

56G80S wrote:I'm completely lost with this pinlock business. and followed Peter's link but no illustration of what it does.

More internet searching to do.

Johnny B
It adheres to the inside of your visor, and keeps it mist free.

Pinlock is the similar, but the inside of the visor has two pins to locate the lens, you can't use a pinlock lens without the pins inside your visor.

https://www.agv.com/gb/en/pinlock-lens- ... gKszPD_BwE

I have both, on different helmets, Pinlock is better as it is larger and keeps more of the visor mist free.