A cautionary tale...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Pharisee

A cautionary tale...

Post by Pharisee »

… of the “If it ain't broke, don't fix it ‘til it is” variety.

My '68 Tiger 90 had a clutch that, for reasons that need not be aired here, needed replacing. Yes.. It's a Triumph, but the clutch is very, very similar to the AMC clutch… Multiple plates, three springs and a ‘cush drive' hub with 6 rubber segments. While I had the clutch apart, I wanted to check on the state of the rubber segments which I suspected had never been changed (but weren't actually being problematic). Again, like the AMC hub, the cover plate over the rubbers is secured with 3 countersunk screws, none of which were inclined to be removed. I resorted to the impact screwdriver. Two of the screws succumbed, the third sheared off… “Oh, dear”… or words of a similar meaning. I'd have to remove the hub for further surgery. Problem No. 2 was that the hub was extremely tight on the gearbox main-shaft splines. Fortunately, I had a tool for that. A plate with three holes that fitted over the clutch spring screws and a centre bolt against the main-shaft. Using that, the hub was easily drawn off the splines. The broken screw was duly removed and the rubbers inspected…. They were perfect!! The cover plate was replaced, the hub put back on its splines and the retaining nut tightened with the windy impact driver. It was only then that I noticed the three spring retaining bolts on the bench. I had omitted to install them before refitting the hub. “Oh, dear,” I said for the second time!! I undid the retaining nut and reached for the removal tool. Now… the brighter among you will immediately see the upcoming problem. No screws to attach the tool to. “Oh, dear” didn't really cut it this time. With nothing to get hold off, I had no option other than to drill and tap three holes in the cover plate and use ¼” UNF bolts with the aforementioned tool to draw the hub off. So, for the sake of checking something that, with hindsight, didn't really need checking, I spent a couple of hours working and it cost me 15 of our fine British quids for a NOS cover plate!! Bummer!!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
56G80S

Re: A cautionary tale...

Post by 56G80S »

Just so you know, you're not the only one who's fiddled with something working fine and ended up with lost time, effort and money to arrive exactly where you were in the first place!

Perhaps I won't take that old, working, B&D drill to pieces after all though. Thanks for the reminder.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

After a short ride with colleagues just before lock down I was told that the LED indicators I had fitted did not really show. I have now purchased 10 indicators from ebay and think I may just get 4 acceptable ones from amongst them! Beginning to regret the effort as yet I only have one side working! Still I can always go on a ride and only turn right.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Clive

You may already know this but the LEDs require a different flasher unit to that for incandescent bulbs. Some of the LED specific flasher units may not work with a mix of incandescent and LED. Some will.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

checked with the supplier before making the change. Works fine on the working side. Will try to sort out the otherside tomorrow.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix