Charging

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MalcW

Charging

Post by MalcW »

Hi

I had a problem with the charging on my dynamo/magneto twin on Saturday. I noticed that the ammeter wasn't reflecting any charge at all. Not a major problem, a) because it has the mag, and b) because it's been converted to 12v with a DVR2 regulator and all LED bulbs, so minimal drain.

Back home, and start to investigate. With full lights the ammeter registered a small discharge, so the meter itself seemed OK. A continuity check from the DVR2 to the ammeter showed that it was OK. So, remove the end cap and cable retainer from the dynamo, pull out the wires and check each of them between the dynamo and the regulator: both OK. Now it's starting to look a bit more expensive. Next, check the dynamo. It should be OK, since it was rebuild by Tony Cooper about 1500 miles ago, and was rewound for 12v at the same time. Output was good, tested both with a multimeter (digital only; no analogue one available), and with a bulb. Unlikely as it seems, the DVR2 seems to have packed up.

So, put the wires back in the dynamo to close it all up; hang on, that Field wire seems very slack? I removed the connector, splayed it out a bit more, plugged it back in, snugly this time, and closed it all up. A quick final check, and it's charging beautifully!

If only I'd checked that first...

Malc