Dynamo

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
chris goldson

Dynamo

Post by chris goldson »

Dynamo returned this morning after a refurb so its into battle next week to get it back into my model 30 and see if I can get it to charge at last.

Have bought new cork washers from the club scheme and a tube of wellseal to see if I can get everythng as oil tight as possible but not over confident. With the locating peg in place it leaves very little room for the cork gasket to do its job but I guess from reading previous correspondence this is far from a new or easily curable matter. When I removed the dynamo there was a paper gasket between between the dynamo face and casing which does not look home made but can't find any sort of reference to a gasket in this location so not sure if to dispense or put back on again.

Must remember to put the heater in the garage first !!
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Re: Dynamo

Post by Plugsnpoints »

I had the very same problem on my M30.

I followed the advice on here. I put plenty of Wellseal on the cork gasket, then before tightening the clamp, applied gentle but firm pressure on the end cap using a large pry bar against the frame. Whilst the pressure was in I nipped the clamp up. Then gently tightened the locating stud. It's fixed it for now. Mine was gushing out before, all over my boots and Kevlar jeans!
chris goldson

Post by chris goldson »

Well what an absolute pain.

One of those 30 minute jobs then turned into hours. Main problem was around the cork washers that I got from the club spares scheme which were both slightly too large in diameter and certainly too thick to enable the dynamo to sit against the timing side housing. Ended up making my own out of some cork material which is considerably thinner than the washers supplied and coated all in wellseal (and yes I did try putting some force on the end of the dynamo casing to try to get it to mate upto the casing face).

Anyway job done and showing a healthy charge but time will tell if it is anything like oiltight!!
clive

Post by clive »

The cork gasket has to be gently squeezed down where stud threads into the dynamo. Other forum entries describe making sure you do not use the stud to pull the dynamo across. instead you push it across from the far side before doing up the strap. If you use the stud to do this it will probably strip the thread in the dynamo. If you only have one pair of hands available others have described using a rod against a wall to exert the pressure. The dynamo does not have to fit that tightly to the face, the cork merely has to seal the gap as the sprocket is quite a bit wider than the gear it engages with.
However I do wonder if this seal is the problem as the oil there is not under pressure and all the cork needs to do is seal around the the dynamo face. I wonder if your leak is actually coming from the crankcase halves. The crankcases should have a small circular gasket between the faces around the oil filter housing. This oil is under pressure and tends to leak out from between the cases behind the dynamo. It looks like the dynamo is the cause of the leak. So did you build up the cases or was that done by a PO? I doubt the leak will be stopped if the circular gasket is missing.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

Thats weird I was replying to a post which has now disappeared
clive
chris goldson

Post by chris goldson »

Hi Clive

Many thanks.

I did not have this problem before removing the dynamo for a re-con only assume this is the the problem area. Cases built by previous owner
clive

Post by clive »

try the info in this thread
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ynamo+leak

seemed to sort the problem
clive
chris goldson

Post by chris goldson »

Dynamo off this afternoon and new cork washer in place complete with gasket goo.

As per previous previous advice on this forum all clamped securely under slight pressure and now going to be left for 24 hours.

Hope this does the trick and then back out again with dryer right boot this time !!
clive

Post by clive »

Chris you have advertised for a new end plate for your dynamo. The thread for the fixing stud if I remember correctly is 2BA ( I am sure I will be corrected if that is wrong) they are fairly easy to fix with a helicoil. Why do you think I said "If you use the stud to do this it will probably strip the thread in the dynamo." :oops: Been there done that!
clive
chris goldson

Post by chris goldson »

Thanks Clive

I think someone long before me has fitted a larger diameter threaded bar in place of the original.

I ordered I new stud from the club and it is much smaller and oddly quite shorter which got me wondering if it should fasten inside the timing cover.

Anyway dynamo now back firmly in place and was going to try it today but woke up with "kickstarter knee" or "Velo knee" as my friend calls it. A couple of anti-inflammatory pills and hopefully OK for test run tomorrow.