Not Matchless or AJS Question - Horns

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
thornebt

Not Matchless or AJS Question - Horns

Post by thornebt »

Sorry, not an AMC question but a quick one that I'm sure someone will know the answer to!

I've fitted twin Fiamm horns on my 100HP Fiat Panda. I basically made connections to split the two wires to the horn into four wires. The wires go to spade connectors on each horn. The horn terminals are not marked + or -. The horns are bolted to brackets fixed to the same mounting point as the original horn. The horns don't work! I've tried swapping the wires on each horn but still not a peep out of them.

I'm not very good at electrical stuff to say the least! What do you think I have got wrong please? I'm now going to find my multimeter!

Cheers. Bruce.
Rob Harknett

Re: Not Matchless or AJS Question - Horns

Post by Rob Harknett »

Have you tried just wiring up one, then taking just the + wire to the second horn. The - wire from the second horn to the horn button. That is for = + live. If - = live, take - to the second horn and + to the button. Wiring both together may be asking the horns to work out of Phase ???? I'm no expect just a suggestion to try.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Rob Harknett wrote:Have you tried just wiring up one, then taking just the + wire to the second horn. The - wire from the second horn to the horn button. That is for = + live. If - = live, take - to the second horn and + to the button. Wiring both together may be asking the horns to work out of Phase ???? I'm no expect just a suggestion to try.
I removed both wires from one horn (neither are marked + or -. Still doesn't work. When I fitted the horns I replaced the 20A relay with a 30A relay as per instructions. The 30A relay worked with the original horn as you would expect. I just have the two wires that went to the original horn but I thought that would be all the wiring I would need.

Cheers. Bruce.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

As Rob said, try to just wire one horn, does it work then? if so wire the second one in parallel.

Are you sure the horns work? - maybe confirm by taking connections direct from the battery, (watch out for the sparks ;) )

Regards Mick
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Mick D wrote:Hi

As Rob said, try to just wire one horn, does it work then? if so wire the second one in parallel.

Are you sure the horns work? - maybe confirm by taking connections direct from the battery, (watch out for the sparks ;) )

Regards Mick
Bad light has now stopped play. I wired one horn direct to the battery and it certainly works. There has to be a jumper wire between the horns but there are four wiring diagrams for two types of set up - those being 'grounded horn button' and 'horn button connected to positive'. I can't even determine from the Haynes wiring diagram which one applies. When I do manage to determine this I still have two different options for the jumper wire connections.

Being a postie I won't have any daylight hours to look at it again until Sunday so I will have to start again then.

This is all very frustrating and slightly embarassing! I thought it would be a straightforward job!

Cheers. Bruce.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Bruce

If you can post or PM me photos of the Haynes and horn wiring diagrams I'd be happy to have a look and offer a solution - especially to one of our unsung 'Covid heroes', I don't know how we would have managed in the wilds of Scotland without our postie - Cheers fellows :beer: :beer: .

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You surely would of had, one wire from the live wire on the battery to the horn. Another from the horn to the horn button. The horn button earth's when pushed to make the circuit and blow the horn. I see no reason why a second horn should not work if wired the same. Or link the live wire on one horn to the other. Plus another wire to the horn button.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

thornebt wrote:
Mick D wrote:Hi

Regards Mick
Bad light has now stopped play. I wired one horn direct to the battery and it certainly works. There has to be a jumper wire between the horns but there are four wiring diagrams for two types of set up - those being 'grounded horn button' and 'horn button connected to positive'. I can't even determine from the Haynes wiring diagram which one applies. When I do manage to determine this I still have two different options for the jumper wire connections.

Being a postie I won't have any daylight hours to look at it again until Sunday so I will have to start again then.

This is all very frustrating and slightly embarrassing! I thought it would be a straightforward job!
Yes wired in parallel Mick, if accidentally wired in series, it may give a 12v. instead 6v. resistance, or perhaps also cause problem's with the earthing.

Cheers. Bruce.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Mick D wrote:Hi Bruce

If you can post or PM me photos of the Haynes and horn wiring diagrams I'd be happy to have a look and offer a solution - especially to one of our unsung 'Covid heroes', I don't know how we would have managed in the wilds of Scotland without our postie - Cheers fellows :beer: :beer: .

Regards Mick
Thank you Mick for your kind offer. The Fiamm diagram is so small and faint that it would be difficult to take a photo or scan of it. But I think I have now got my head round the problem of understanding Fiamm's diagram. I am optimistic they will be working shortly.

Cheers. Bruce.
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

The Fiamm diagram is so small and faint that it would be difficult to take a photo or scan of it. But I think I have now got my head round the problem of understanding Fiamm's diagram. I am optimistic they will be working shortly.

It seldom pays to be too optimistic, you will only be disapointed if things don't work. :rofl: If they do work they will probably have more poke than the Fiat that they are bolted onto.
Warning. Don't point the horn trumpets forwards as this will act as effective air braking and may even drive the vehicle backwards.

Why would any manufacturer call one of their models a Panda? All they do is loaf about all day chewing bamboo. I have never before seem such lazy amimals.
Well not since I left the motor trade anyway.