Ethanol and fuel stabilisers

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Ethanol and fuel stabilisers

Post by 56G80S »

After a search I read some old threads on this topic.

There's clearly differing opinion about whether there is really a problem or not and the likelihood of "snake oil" cures for an ailment that doesn't exist.

Then there is a range of companies, many reputable or at least long established, providing products; snake oil or not. Even more significant is the Ethanil kit (http://www.ethanil.co.uk/ and currently out of stock) purporting to actively remove water and ethanol from petrol. One of the earlier posts referred to this.

Those earlier posts are just that, earlier. Have things moved on and is there firm evidence or are we still in the world of supposition? If the former, what is a cost effective and operationally effective option? On review sites the StarTron enzyme fuel treatment scores well, but so does Sta-Bil 22264-CS and Lucas Oil safeguard ethanol fuel conditioner.

On additives in general, I remember a long time ago I bought a low miles Mk I Astra petrol estate (70k is low to me). I changed the oil after a while rather than straight away. It had service history as an ex-Xerox company car. I used some Slick 50, back then I had money to burn and thought, "what the heck". I did find lower fuel consumption, although not much, and subjectively some very small performance improvement. When I finished with it, I sold it to my brother who in turn gave it to my father. From memory it was over 275k when scrapped as the body work was rotten (Dad lived very close to the sea). The engine was still sound and had received no spannering at all.

Thoughts welcome.

Johnny B
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Re: Ethanol and fuel stabilisers

Post by Plugsnpoints »

56G80S wrote:After a search I read some old threads on this topic.

There's clearly differing opinion about whether there is really a problem or not and the likelihood of "snake oil" cures for an ailment that doesn't exist.

Then there is a range of companies, many reputable or at least long established, providing products; snake oil or not. Even more significant is the Ethanil kit (http://www.ethanil.co.uk/ and currently out of stock) purporting to actively remove water and ethanol from petrol. One of the earlier posts referred to this.

Those earlier posts are just that, earlier. Have things moved on and is there firm evidence or are we still in the world of supposition? If the former, what is a cost effective and operationally effective option? On review sites the StarTron enzyme fuel treatment scores well, but so does Sta-Bil 22264-CS and Lucas Oil safeguard ethanol fuel conditioner.

On additives in general, I remember a long time ago I bought a low miles Mk I Astra petrol estate (70k is low to me). I changed the oil after a while rather than straight away. It had service history as an ex-Xerox company car. I used some Slick 50, back then I had money to burn and thought, "what the heck". I did find lower fuel consumption, although not much, and subjectively some very small performance improvement. When I finished with it, I sold it to my brother who in turn gave it to my father. From memory it was over 275k when scrapped as the body work was rotten (Dad lived very close to the sea). The engine was still sound and had received no spannering at all.

Thoughts welcome.

Johnny B
I know I'll probably get laughed at for this, but if laying a machine up for any length of time I swear by using lawn mower petrol (yes it does exist). It has a shelf life of five years. I discovered it a few years ago, when I bought a 15 year old mower to do up. Inside the carb was like new. All the other mowers I work on have gunge and corrosion.

My lawn mowers and strimmer fire up every time first pull even after sitting in the garage for year after year.

If I lay my bikes up I always run the last carb full on the fuel. No problems with having to flush out the tank or strip the carbs. It's expensive at £20 for 5 litres but saves so much grief in the long run. Good value for money in my opinion.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

5 bikes on the road-used all year round and so far just one petrol pipe that went "mushy",but it was 25 years old!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Until this year I was of the opinion that stale fuel was an urban myth. I lay most of the bikes up over Winter and only use one to go out on if it's dry and above 7 degrees. The others are pulled from the garage in Spring, one by one, checked over and started up for a run but this year my G15 would not start. All of the others fired up with no problems.
All the usual checks, spark, fuel flow etc were good but only new fuel allowed the bike to start.
I only ever use the super unleaded fuels but even these have caused the rubber fuel lines to disintegrate and I now use re-enforced plastic hose which seems to be more robust.
I've done the same for this Winter so, come the Spring, if the G15 doesn't start again I might just start to believe there is a problem with fuel but I suppose the possibility of better volatility with new fuel might suggest the magneto needs rebuilding.
McMaz

Post by McMaz »

You can still purchase ethanol-free fuel, e.g Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99.
Esso states… “Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol', including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps”. - https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

I bought some recently (paid just under £1.30/ltr) specifically for the winter layup. Last year I went for draining the tank but didn't realise that with that option it's best to remove the taps and put them in a jar of fuel to prevent the washers drying out.

Sean
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

I would agree with plugsnpoints, the lawn mower petrol is usually sold under the trade name of Aspen fuel and available from garden machinery outlets, widely used by chainsaw users who don't use their saws every day. Expensive, which is why few full time woodcutters use it but for somebody laying up a number of bikes for the winter a good investment.
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Still some places left in the UK where you can ethanol free fuel. This is taken from ESSOs website -

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99 ) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland or NW England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hi All

I have also not had a problem in the past with lay up / infrequent use. Thing is I want to avoid having one in the future.

I had checked out the availability of ethanol free but one clue is " the Teesside area, Scotland " not having it. These are key areas for me (got back from Scotland last Sunday and live on the very extreme edge of North Yorkshire, tight on the Teesside area).

Also, on another forum, there was reference to E10 stickers being put on the Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

I've just bought a Wavian 20 litre jerry can and if I find any of the Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99. Before anyone says you can't legally fill these at a fuel station, that's not the case and HSE regulations set this out. There may be a problem with vendors refusing to allow it through their own policy. Just take the can out on the blind side or when they're busy and then it's too late!

I may get a small sample of Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99 and do an ethanol test, it's pretty straightforward to do.

Thanks a lot for all your replies.

Johnny B
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Johnny

I live in Scotland and use standard grade 5% ethanol fuel in all applications, I've never been unable to start any of my IC engines after their winter shut down, I don't drain them down before winter.

The day my leaf blower, strimmer, mower, chainsaw, hedge trimmer, generator, Matchless, Ariel, Triumph doesn't start I'll think about investigating, until then it's all snake oil to me.

Life's too short to be looking for irrelevant problems ;)

Regards Mick
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

Granted it's not so much a problem with bikes especially 4 strokes, more a problem for 2 strokes with diaphragm carbs, seen plenty of these in the workshop gummed up.