Ethanol and fuel stabilisers

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Plugsnpoints
Deceased

Re: Ethanol and fuel stabilisers

Post by Plugsnpoints »

We all have our different foibles I suppose.

I've just drained the petrol in my twin. I'm pleased I did as I found all sorts of crap in the carb filter. It didn't go to waste as it's diluted in the car tank now.

I drained the float bowl as well.

I then proceeded to put 1/3 gallon of Aspen 4 Stroke lawnmower petrol in it.

I don't suppose I'll be using the bike for the next month due to lockdown etc, that's the reason.

Lawnmower petrol doesn't tend to absorb moisture a lot, if at all, due to being ethanol free. It keeps the whole system clean as it doesn't deteriorate.

The best bit is the gorgeous smell when I fired it up!

This debate is almost as decisive as the oil one... :rofl:
clive

Post by clive »

didn't know you could get 20/50 petrol
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
torp

Post by torp »

Aspen is good stuff but expensive.
I remove petrol and put a bit of Aspen in the tank over winter to allow me to start it up from time to time without the need to drain the carbs each time.
It's better to travel than to arrive
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Not quite the multigrade / straight SAE dichotomy but an interesting discussion.

I'll revisit this thread when I've done an ethanol test on the Esso fuel, used the the stabiliser I've bought, tried deliberately separating out the ethanol and then using the petrol and convinced Linda that this is time well spent!

Johnny B
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Did the test, I'm locally buying 5% ethanol. Jar, 25mm water top up with petrol to 100mm. Shake and when settled the "water" at the bottom was nearly 30mm.

Just need to find the Esso garage at Northallerton and test the Synergy Supreme+ 99!

Haven't tried the resultant "ethanol free" petrol though.

Johnny B
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Johnny, yes I did that a couple of years ago, on a small sample, but could not find a 5 litre separating flask at a reasonable price. Over £50 made of glass so very liable to breakage.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hi Dudley,

I happen to have some demi johns left over from the days when I had excess fruit production and made wine. Of course, liable to breakage but I would only use them for the separation process and with rubber bung and brewing kit I should be able to set up to drain off the "water".

I have bought a Wavian 20 litre jerry can. It's not the cheapest but very well made. That's where the petrol will go.

Maximum storage limit is 30 litres, excluding what's in a vehicle tank, and I have two spare 5 litre containers. More than enough.

Of course, should I find that the Esso petrol at Northallerton is free of ethanol I'll fill up the 20 litres! Legal but may be restricted by vendor's own rules; too late if the jerry can is already full.

Cheers

Johnny B
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

All this talk of separating the alcohol from petrol is all well and good, but what do you mix it with to cover the taste of petrol? ;) :beer:

Regards Mick
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

My son-in-law bought me some lucas stabilizer (made in america) for xmas.Not having had a problem so far it may be "snake oil!" It will be difficult to tell! 1fl. oz to 5 gallons- no metric stuff!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

alanjennings wrote:1fl. oz to 5 gallons- no metric stuff!
And no doubt US gallons to boot :) ;)

Regards Mick